How do I get substitutions to work the way I want? Topic

I'm trying to get these substitutions to work the way I want, but after two exhibition games, it's just not right...

I have the starting power forward and the starting center (C-1). There is another center (C-2) that I want to go in at C if C-1 comes out and to go in at PF if the PF comes out. Then there is a backup SF with relatively high REB and LP attributes that I want as 3rd string PF and C behind C-2. When *both* starters come out, I want C-2 to play the center position and the SF to play the power forward position. However, it always seems to put C-2 at PF and the SF at C.

How can I make this work correctly? Or is this just a limitation of the HD sim?

2/3/2013 4:25 PM
I'm not sure if it'll do what you want.  This is what I'd do, which is probably the same thing you're already doing.  

C-2 at backup for both the PF and C. Then he'll play where needed.  Put the SF at 3rd string for both positions.  If both are your starters come out simutaneously, it seems logical that C-2 will play  his natural position and the SF will play at PF. But the game may not be set up this way.
2/3/2013 4:31 PM
I wonder if this would work:

Forward-  PF, C-2, SF
Center-   C-1, C-2, (blank), SF
2/3/2013 4:39 PM
i dont think it works that way, alblack.

the way substitutions work, when there are multiple legal positioning for the 5 players who should go in, is it minimizes the sum of their positions on the depth chart. you can't control the tie breaker. for example -

if you have the backup C at the 2nd C spot, and 3rd PF spot, and the backup SF at the 2PF spot and 3C spot - when they are both in  - you will ALWAYS see the C at C, the SF at PF. in that case, the sum of their spots on the depth chart is 4. if the C was at PF, and the SF at C, the sum of their spots on the depth chart would be 6.

in your case, the C is 2 for PF/C and the SF is 3 for PF/C. when you need both to play, with C at C, or C at PF, the sum of their spots on the depth chart is always 5. that is why you are seeing what you are seeing.

to get around this, you should move the SF to the 4th spot on the C list, if you can afford to do so, or move the C to the 4th spot on the PF list, if you can afford to do so. you should probably be able to do one of those two (either will work). if you have a big who can play backup, behind those guys, you'd ideally want him at 4th at both, but you just have to decide what is more important, i guess. ive asked (and other coaches have too) for the depth chart to go to 5, that seems like it would give enough control, where in the current setup, there are times you have to make a tradeoff, that you probably shouldnt have to make.

hope that helps!
2/3/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 2/3/2013 4:39:00 PM (view original):
I wonder if this would work:

Forward-  PF, C-2, SF
Center-   C-1, C-2, (blank), SF
yup, that works. my previous post was to alblack's previous post, and when i said it doesnt work that way, i meant with respect to natural positioning  breaking the tie.
2/3/2013 4:41 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I'll have to try that --blank-- spot in the depth chart....

Follow up question to that -- Since there are then only three (instead of four) guys in the depth chart for center, what happens if all three are tired, injured, and/or playing another position? Does the bottom guy just stay in, regardless of his fatigue level?

2/4/2013 10:53 AM
if you get super desperate, the engine might sub someone in, but seble put effort in to prevent that from happening - basically, you are just going to grind down whoever is left who is eligible to come in. thats why i tell coaches to always fill out their depth chart, 1st and 2nd position simply does not cut it!!

2/4/2013 12:21 PM
Happy to report the blank spot in the depth chart worked last night. Thanks, guys!
2/5/2013 12:42 PM
Posted by bdr127 on 2/5/2013 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Happy to report the blank spot in the depth chart worked last night. Thanks, guys!
no problem. jusy FYI, the minimum of depth chart positions rule was confirmed by seble a while back, so that is something you can take to the bank. i think a lot of coaches pretty much assumed it worked that way, but always nice when you get confirmation from CS on top of it.
2/5/2013 12:55 PM (edited)
How do I get substitutions to work the way I want? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.