Save 1 position for all rookies. Does it work? Topic

It's a thought I have. I've done it a few times in baseball, but with 8 postions it's a bit easier to pull off. The only spot I could see it working is SF. And it would call for a lot of luck on what you get. But it would allow me to spend freely on the other 4 positions. I could see it being a high return proposition if you're lucky enough with what you get, but a tremendous failure if you don't get very lucky. So, has anyone here tried it? If so, how'd it go for you? And again, I can't see trying it with any position other than SF. If anyone's tried another spot, please tell me. I think this could be very interesting. Thanks.
2/3/2013 5:14 PM
I have no idea what you mean - I do draft 3 scrubs and make certain assumptions about what position rookies i can expect - most people do - is that your talkingg about?
2/3/2013 7:43 PM
I think he means he wants to not draft any SF's and just play the 3 rookies at SF.

I don't think this would work well at all.
2/3/2013 7:56 PM
Yeah, that is what I mean. Instead of saving minutes for the 3 rookies at different positions, could I successfully spend freely at PG, SG, PF, & C. Then hope I get lucky & get at least adequate rookies who could all play at least some SF. I'm of the opinion it probably wouldn't work out, but I wondered if anyone's had success trying it?
2/3/2013 9:40 PM
open leagues are garbage...dont bother...sign up for some theme leagues
2/4/2013 3:31 AM
Posted by dh555 on 2/4/2013 3:31:00 AM (view original):
Ones without rookies, since they totally trash the whole idea of a salary cap.
2/4/2013 9:01 AM
agree with the 2nd part.
OLs aren't garbage, however.

2/4/2013 3:41 PM
I wanted to try a theme league, but some of the ones I saw were just a little too goofy. All I want is a straight up 50 mil league. If you wanna say no clones & stuff like that, fine. But theres a lot of goofy additional conditions, too. I guess I'd like OL a lot better if they were 50 mil, & I'd be happy. 42 just doesn't get it.
2/4/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/4/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
agree with the 2nd part.

It's certainly everyone's right to disagree, but I think any League using random rookies is garbage.

Some owners randomly get rookies who would cost maybe 2-3 million, while other owners randomly get rookies who would cost well over twice or thre times that. To me, that's garbage.
2/4/2013 4:26 PM
So, then is this a very common opinion by most sim basketball owners, that they'd rather play in a theme league & without rookies? If so, that's what I'll shoot for from now on. I'd rather have a few extra $ to spend- my way- than to hope I get lucky.
2/4/2013 4:49 PM
most theme leagues restrict the usage of rookies.  Many also say no waiver wire & no clones.  Your best bet is to watch the theme league classifieds to find a league that suits your interest.

You can also just start one.  A $50m theme with no rookies and no other restrictions would probably fill pretty quickly, especially if you advertise.

2/4/2013 9:27 PM
Posted by all3 on 2/4/2013 4:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 2/4/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
agree with the 2nd part.

It's certainly everyone's right to disagree, but I think any League using random rookies is garbage.

Some owners randomly get rookies who would cost maybe 2-3 million, while other owners randomly get rookies who would cost well over twice or thre times that. To me, that's garbage.
That's certainly fine, but I think that many of the theme regulars miss the boat by only playing in themes.  You can refine techniques, try new ideas and overall just learn a ton about the sim by playing in OLs.  I usually try to keep one to two OL teams going to continue to monitor the sim environment and tweak my own personal ideas so that I don't waste time in themes with average to below average teams.
2/4/2013 9:29 PM
Cool Guys, I might have to start a theme. Thanks for the info & insight.
2/4/2013 11:03 PM
Save 1 position for all rookies. Does it work? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.