New and need help Topic

So, I am Benedictine in the Rupp world, and i was wondering given the skills of my players what O/D should i be running?
2/4/2013 6:49 PM
Most coaches feel that motion, triangle and flex are about equal.  Don't do fastbreak, however. New coaches, especially, struggle with it.

As for defense, your defensive ratings are quite low. That will hurt you in man2man. But, if you have a lot of players with high potential for DEF, it might work out eventually.

As for zone vs. press, I'll let someone answer. I've never played zone
2/4/2013 7:43 PM
Just a suggestion. If/ when you jump to dII, you want to pick a team that already plays your style of O/D bc it will take a good 3 seasons to change your schemes and be successful. Now if you're coaching like an alma mater and plan on staying there for a significant amount of time then by all means ignore my advice :)

After looking at your team it's rather young so you might be in a position to change the set off/def that's already in place since your players aren't really highly rated in those sets. This team will struggle anyway so may as well pick what you want to play this yr and just ride it out.

If you go with m2m over zone you have to get better def ratings than what you have or you'll get eaten alive. You have 4 players 20 or under on def and that's bad!!! In d3 I don't even look at a player under 25 def or if they won't eventually max out above like 35. Also, you need to maybe cut some of those low ath guys.. You have guards in the teens and that's not good :)

All that being said, if you're staying there for a few seasons I'd cut a few players and go with whatever sets you want to run and just suffer through a few bad seasons. Right now, your best bet is to probably run zone since your ath/def ratings are as low as they are :)
2/4/2013 8:55 PM
That's quite a rebuild you've got on your hands.  Given your teams current capabilities (or lack thereof) and current iq's I would run motion/zone.  Running zone will help your players not get fatigued and will also allow your 'best' players to stay on the floor longer- especially if you run slowdown tempo (which I would consider doing most of the time).  Sitemail me if you have any specific questions or need any help going forward.  Good luck! 
2/5/2013 11:23 AM
New and need help Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.