Pretty interesting, IMO, discussion about him on ESPN this AM.   Obviously he can't turn pro this season.  It's been suggested that he'd be better served in sitting out the college season, training with professionals and entering next season's draft.    Mostly to avoid chance of injury. 

In retrospect, it seems like Lattimore would have been better served doing that.  A little different scenario as he was returning from knee surgery so he had to "prove" he could still play(of course, that's not what he's doing now by entering this season's draft). 

Should super-talented SO consider this?
2/12/2013 8:51 AM
I'd love to see someone try this.  I'm not sure what it would do to his draft stock in contrast to coming back and having a good, healthy season, but it would obviously mitigate the potential for a disaster scenario.

Of course, I'd also just love to see him be allowed to go pro now, but that isn't happening anytime soon.

2/13/2013 11:56 AM
Since he's a physical beast, I can't imagine it would hurt him much.   The talking heads say he'd be #1 if he was in this season's draft.    He can't improve upon that.  Maybe, if he sat out, he'd lose a couple of spots due to "attitude" but, because of his physical skills, someone at the top would draft him unless he showed up at the combine, or personal workout, with a big offensive lineman gut.

With the new rookie salary structure, it really doesn't seem like a horrible idea.   Of course, players want to play.   He's already brushed it off as nonsense.
2/13/2013 12:05 PM
Yeah, I don't expect he'd drop a ton either, but I think he'd fall some more because of not having put anything on tape for a year than any "attitude" concerns.   I agree, not a horrible idea, but I doubt it happens anytime soon, unless it's a Lattimore type situation where the player already has an injury in his past.
2/13/2013 12:15 PM
This story won't go away.    I don't think Clowney will be the one to do it, his mother is on record as saying "I want him to play college football", but I think it's going to happen in the future.   It makes too much sense for a lineman. 

Get an agent.   Get some money to train for 16 months.    Show up at the combine as a bigger, better beast while avoiding injury. 

I don't think it makes much sense for a skill position as a year off for a QB/RB/WR/DB means a year without tape to view. 
2/15/2013 12:33 PM
You can make the argument that a guy like Mike Williams (WR USC 2003) did this, but I guess not to the utmost degree and look how he turned out...Maurice Clarrett...Clowney seems like a better dude than those 2 though.
2/16/2013 11:56 PM
Maybe not.   Spurrier was pretty ****** about Clowney telling him he couldn't play just minutes before last night's game.

10/6/2013 3:44 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.