While I don't hold you responsible for the current engine, I am continuing to play based on your promises about the new engine. You've done an excellent job of informing us about the different features you're incorporating, but I have one basic question I'd like you to answer before I put up any more of my money:

What are you doing to stop THIS from happening:

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4102386

This result is so illogical that I can't even guess at the cause. I've got a huge advantage in quality of player, I've got a set of gameplans that have got me to the NC game for three straight seasons, and I'm stonewalled by a rookie coach with a SIM team? What kind of math does that take to make that happen, and has it been eliminated from the new engine?

2/12/2013 3:42 PM
normalization of running statistics can bite you in the ***.
2/12/2013 4:15 PM
You do realize you have almost all freshman starting right????
2/12/2013 5:15 PM
Yes, that's my new lineup. Starting the good players didn't seem to have any effect...
2/12/2013 5:57 PM
If you want to play the beta and find out, then do.

We should have App State vs. Michigan results sometimes. It should only happen 2 or 3 times in a season though.

They are also hiring 6 new programmers.
2/12/2013 6:20 PM (edited)
Seriously, 6-2??? Did y'all play baseball?

But honestly, that's F-ing ridiculous! That team sux!
2/12/2013 6:21 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 2/12/2013 6:20:00 PM (view original):

We should have App State vs. Michigan results sometimes. It should only happen 2 or 3 times in a season though.

Really? You think Michigan-Appy State should happen 2 or 3 times a season? When in reality it's more like 2-3 times per CENTURY?
2/12/2013 6:50 PM
Posted by scrodz on 2/12/2013 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 2/12/2013 6:20:00 PM (view original):

Really? You think Michigan-Appy State should happen 2 or 3 times a season? When in reality it's more like 2-3 times per CENTURY?
Kansas - N. Illinois

Cincinnati - Toledo

Pittsburgh - Youngstown State

Rutgers - Kent State

South Florida - Ball State

Illinois - LaTech

Indiana - Ball State

Iowa - Central Michigan

Kentucky - Western Kentucky

Arkansas - LA Monroe

Colorado - Sacramento State

There are some fairly large upsets this last season .. I'm sure there are plenty more.
2/12/2013 8:28 PM
None of them are even remotely like AppSt - Michigan,
Kansas - N. Illinois Kansas went 1-11 last year, but at least they has a schematic advantage...

Cincinnati - Toledo A 10-3 team lost to a 9-4 team.

Pittsburgh - Youngstown StatePitt finished 6-7 in the Big East

Rutgers - Kent State A 9-4 team beaten by a 10-3 team.

South Florida - Ball State 3-9 Big East team loses to a 9-4 MAC team.

Illinois - LaTech Worst team in the B1G (2-10) loses to a 9-4 team.

Indiana - Ball State 2nd worst team in the B1G loses to a 9-4 MAC team.

Iowa - Central Michigan 2nd worst team (tie) in the B1G loses to yet another MAC team. The MAC doesn't look too bad for 2012, do they?

Kentucky - Western Kentucky Worst team in the SEC loses to a 7-6 Sun Belt team.

Arkansas - LA Monroe The John L Smith train wreck loses to an 8-5 Sun Belt team.

Colorado - Sacramento State Not really a surprise, since the 1-11 worst team in the Pac-12 lost ten other games last season. I suppose the surprise would have been if they'd won this game...

I suppose it's telling that your list includes the worst teams from the B1G, Big-12, Pac-12, Big East, and the SEC, mostly losing to mid-majors. Hardly Michigan-Appy State, which was a 9-4 Michigan team against a DIAA team, and was named one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history.

If you look at the players, even AppSt-Michigan wasn't as bad as Rowan-Huntingdon. Rowan was one of the worst teams in DIII, and Huntingdon has better players than over half of the DII teams in Leahy.

I truly hope that norbert HAS fixed this problem, but I'd really like to hear it from his own mouth before I plunk down another 5-pack to keep my existing teams alive.

2/12/2013 9:51 PM (edited)
Don't forget where Michigan was ranked at the time of the game- none of your examples are near the level of such an epic upset.
2/12/2013 10:31 PM
Well looking over the play by play.....I would have to say that simply....YOU WERE OUT COACHED!!!!!!

POOR 3rd DOWN EXECUTION.....You don't convert on 3rd down, then you are looking too much to the big play. Which never came. Game plan looked very conservative on Huntingdon's behalf.....Too many run plays on 3rd and greater than 5 yards to go.....It is what it is, a loss, time to move on....

Also since scrodz wants to discount the upsets listed by hughesjr based on records, then it looks like a 4-2 team beating a 5-1 team.....no big deal!!!

2/12/2013 11:30 PM
Yes, strange that I would try to run the ball, when I've got a running team, a top 5 RB, and an O-line that out-points his front 7 by 10+ points in every core. Imagine my surprise when it didn't work.
2/13/2013 12:41 AM
Posted by scrodz on 2/12/2013 3:42:00 PM (view original):
While I don't hold you responsible for the current engine, I am continuing to play based on your promises about the new engine. You've done an excellent job of informing us about the different features you're incorporating, but I have one basic question I'd like you to answer before I put up any more of my money:

What are you doing to stop THIS from happening:

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4102386

This result is so illogical that I can't even guess at the cause. I've got a huge advantage in quality of player, I've got a set of gameplans that have got me to the NC game for three straight seasons, and I'm stonewalled by a rookie coach with a SIM team? What kind of math does that take to make that happen, and has it been eliminated from the new engine?

I would hope that he isnt doing anything to stop this.  Your opponent is not a SIM coached team.  Rowan's offensive formation IQ is better than your defensive IQ and your offensive IQ is either a hair behind his defensive one or a  wash.  You got beat by a 5-2 team and we're talking about a D3 matchup here.  That is the most unpredictable level in this game.

Anyone that thinks these kinda games are not going to happen after the update is a fool and should just walk away
2/13/2013 7:40 AM
Oh, so we're back to formation IQ, huh? I remember when that was the excuse du jour from WIS... I guess that means that my 10 point advantage in cores is modified to only be 9.95. Yeah, that must be it...
2/13/2013 8:51 AM (edited)
My point is that we should have several upsets per season of the MAC/Sun beats the BCS ... and we should want/expect those to happen.
2/13/2013 8:54 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.