For my part I do expect upsets to  happen.  I don't like it when it happens to me.  I love it when I upset some other team.

Now, I think the real issue here, and it has been mentioned many times over the last few years....when upsets happen, there needs to be some clear evidence as to why.  Either in the PBP or in an overall game summary, or some other place that points to the why.

Just yesterday (D3) justinlee_24 took a far "inferior" team and whooped my butt.  I ended up winning by a FG, but he kicked me up and down the field.  Absolutely without question, his gameplanning was the key to his success and he should have won the game.  His QB threw 6 picks, which helped him to lose.  I say the 6 picks are due to his poor QB, and to my far superior DBs (which I have purposely improved over the last 4-5 seasons in order to help out more against the all pass teams).  

My point here is that I can see the "why" in my game yesterday.  For scrodz game, its hard to see the "why".  It might be there, but its hard to see.
2/13/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by harriswb3 on 2/13/2013 10:16:00 AM (view original):
For my part I do expect upsets to  happen.  I don't like it when it happens to me.  I love it when I upset some other team.

Now, I think the real issue here, and it has been mentioned many times over the last few years....when upsets happen, there needs to be some clear evidence as to why.  Either in the PBP or in an overall game summary, or some other place that points to the why.

Just yesterday (D3) justinlee_24 took a far "inferior" team and whooped my butt.  I ended up winning by a FG, but he kicked me up and down the field.  Absolutely without question, his gameplanning was the key to his success and he should have won the game.  His QB threw 6 picks, which helped him to lose.  I say the 6 picks are due to his poor QB, and to my far superior DBs (which I have purposely improved over the last 4-5 seasons in order to help out more against the all pass teams).  

My point here is that I can see the "why" in my game yesterday.  For scrodz game, its hard to see the "why".  It might be there, but its hard to see.
Exactly. There is no 4 turnovers, or two pick sixes, or QB scrambles for 80 yards, or 2 punt returns for a TD. Just looking at the box score, it looks like his team should have better players than mine. There is no causality in this game, and that's one of the big problems that I and others have said they want addressed. The new game will hopefully have a clear link between cause and effect, but I'd like norbert to actually explain how that will happen.
2/13/2013 12:27 PM
Posted by djarelt on 2/12/2013 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Well looking over the play by play.....I would have to say that simply....YOU WERE OUT COACHED!!!!!!

POOR 3rd DOWN EXECUTION.....You don't convert on 3rd down, then you are looking too much to the big play. Which never came. Game plan looked very conservative on Huntingdon's behalf.....Too many run plays on 3rd and greater than 5 yards to go.....It is what it is, a loss, time to move on....

Also since scrodz wants to discount the upsets listed by hughesjr based on records, then it looks like a 4-2 team beating a 5-1 team.....no big deal!!!

I smell a newbie.

This is not being "out coached"- scrodz is a well reputed coach in this game. This is simply, utterly, a failure in the engine.

Now it isn't a failure because it happened once. I'm sure everyone, over hundreds of seasons played, will experience this two, three, four, ten times. However, teams that are this much better than their opponents are losing these once, twice a season. That my friend is not an upset; it's the fault of the engine.
2/13/2013 7:08 PM
Posted by caesari on 2/13/2013 7:08:00 PM (view original):
Well looking over the play by play.....I would have to say that simply....YOU WERE OUT COACHED!!!!!!

POOR 3rd DOWN EXECUTION.....You don't convert on 3rd down, then you are looking too much to the big play. Which never came. Game plan looked very conservative on Huntingdon's behalf.....Too many run plays on 3rd and greater than 5 yards to go.....It is what it is, a loss, time to move on....

Also since scrodz wants to discount the upsets listed by hughesjr based on records, then it looks like a 4-2 team beating a 5-1 team.....no big deal!!!

I smell a newbie.

This is not being "out coached"- scrodz is a well reputed coach in this game. This is simply, utterly, a failure in the engine.

Now it isn't a failure because it happened once. I'm sure everyone, over hundreds of seasons played, will experience this two, three, four, ten times. However, teams that are this much better than their opponents are losing these once, twice a season. That my friend is not an upset; it's the fault of the engine.
To back that up we need data of previous seasons. Right now all we can say is that last season this or a few seasons ago that. I agree that hopefully the new engine will allow coaches to be able to see why they lost or why they won.
2/13/2013 8:01 PM
Posted by caesari on 2/13/2013 7:08:00 PM (view original):

I smell a newbie.

LOL.

But I agree.  ;)

2/14/2013 9:00 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.