Defensive end speed? Topic

DIAA...  Considering switching a LBer with low GI but good speed, strength, and tackling to DE.  Speed would be 90 and elus would be 86.  Strength and tackling in the mid 70s.  Would that combination make a great pass rushing DE or am I missing something?  Technique would be in the 50s as well.

Interested to hear thoughts on this.
2/14/2013 4:56 PM
His spd would be nice and the tech if fine... I would look at the impact on athleticism as well, that is a nice factor in a DE
2/14/2013 5:22 PM
Good point.  Just checked and ath would remain unchanged at 65.  Technique would actually be a 48- not 50ish.  Is elusiveness at least a secondary trait for DE?  If nothing else, this guy could end up being my return man lol
2/14/2013 5:50 PM
I think some people think it is, I usually take it if it is there... ath, tech and str are the big ones for me
2/14/2013 5:53 PM
The hit to his GI and TEC offset the gain to SPD, so he'll be OK, but not a beast. For me, I've found that ATH, TEC, and GI are more important than SPD for a DE.
2/14/2013 6:11 PM
Don't go with a really fast LB; his SPD is gonna increase ~33%, so if his speed starts at 70+, you'll lose potential improvement as you approach the 90 SPD cap. FYI,  if you look at the player stats, there are no converts among the top sack leaders. They're usually good, but seldom great. It works out best when you lose out on quality DLs and are stuck in the middle of the draft needing a DE.
2/16/2013 1:11 PM
I've had good and medicore results. You can get a bump in WE if you overload LB before you convert.  What I find that drops the most is tackling. So best LB to convert is: high potential, high tackle (drops most), moderate speed (bumps up), good GI and tech (drops a little), moderate strength (doesn't change). I just converted 3 LB to DL for my Arkansas - Pine bluff team. Check them out if you want (all the FR DL)
2/16/2013 3:05 PM
Glad to know that katz....so that when I run all over those new DEs, I won't be surprised.  LOL
2/16/2013 6:39 PM
Need to watch out for them boys. They don't always pay much attention to those Georgia boys gettin' in the way of them gettin' a QB helmet souvenir!
2/16/2013 6:55 PM
Thanks guys.  Great input.  I'm going to leave him at LB and let him be a back-up until his jr or sr year.  Katz-  it will be interesting to see how those LB converts pan out.
2/17/2013 12:34 PM
Defensive end speed? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.