Is this working properly? Topic

Box Score

2nd Half 

On my Team Game plan, I have it set to:

When losing by 2 or more points with 6 minutes remaining, run Triangle offense at a Fast Paced tempo.

And 3-point frequency for that area to +5: As much as possible.

From 6:00 onward in the second half,  we were down by 2 or more points at all times.

In those 6 minutes, we took 12 2-point shots (11 set shots and a tip) between 6:00 and 0:16. From 0:16 to 0:00, we took 3 3-point shots (2 by my SF and 1 by my C).

Is that how it is supposed to work?

2/15/2013 2:37 PM
sure seems like it, though I think those are extreme end of game settings you have
2/15/2013 5:21 PM
Yeah, I have mine set to if we're down by 10+ with 5 minutes or less on the clock, we will play a fast paced offense (thought I normally run a fast paced offense) and my 3 pt. is set to +4, so they're looking for the 3 a lot more, but not necessarily every single possession. It's your team and you're the coach, but I do agree with jdno, your settings are a little extreme.
2/15/2013 5:33 PM
Though*
2/15/2013 5:36 PM
They certainly are extreme settings, but my point is that they don't seem to be working - at least as I expected them to.

We didn't start shooting 3-point shots until we were under 20 seconds, despite a +5 setting that should have kicked in with 6 minutes left!
2/15/2013 6:16 PM
my bad, I must have misread your initial statement.  Thought you said  you took 12 3-pt shots, not 12 2-pt shots.  Yeah, something seems amiss in that case
2/15/2013 7:27 PM
Just my thoughts: you only took 3 3pt shots the entire game. I think with that end game settings you have to have some guys set to shoot 3's. not sure of your settings but based on that game I'd assume most or your guys 3pt settings are -1 or -2. It's like telling your players to shoot and not shoot at the same time. I think to get more threes even in the waning minutes of the game the players would have to have the green light on 3pt shooting settings to shoot more 3's.
2/15/2013 8:05 PM
Posted by reddyred on 2/15/2013 8:05:00 PM (view original):
Just my thoughts: you only took 3 3pt shots the entire game. I think with that end game settings you have to have some guys set to shoot 3's. not sure of your settings but based on that game I'd assume most or your guys 3pt settings are -1 or -2. It's like telling your players to shoot and not shoot at the same time. I think to get more threes even in the waning minutes of the game the players would have to have the green light on 3pt shooting settings to shoot more 3's.
Right, that may in fact be what happened, but based on the available information in the knowledge base, that seems off.

Sub-Category    
#324 Game Planning Q. How do the individual 3 pt. frequency settings work?
  A.

The individual 3 point frequency setting allows you to adjust the frequency on a player basis against each type of defense.

The possible 3 pt. settings are:

• +2: Always look for the 3 pt. shot first
  • +1: Take more 3 pt. shots than normal
  • 0: Take a 3 pt. shot as part of the flow of the offense. That is determined based on numerous factors, including a player's position, skills, the style of defense and the positioning of the defense.
  • -1: Take less 3 pt. shots than normal
  • -2: Never take a 3 pt. shot unless it's a desperation shot
NOTE: If you leave the offensive distribution values to zero for all players, the computer will decide who should take shots AND their frequency of 3 pt. attempts - EVEN IF YOU HAVE VALUES FOR 3 PT. FREQUENCY.

Sub-Category    
#319 Game Planning Q. How do the team 3 pt. frequency settings work?
  A. You can set an option to adjust the frequency of 3 point shots up or down based on certain game situations. So if the situation matches what your settings indicate, the SimEngine will adjust your team's 3 point frequency. The values for the setting range from +5 (take 3pt shots as much as possible, although that certainly does NOT mean every shot will be a 3 pt. shot) all the way down to -5 (rarely take 3pt. shots).

As I read it, your general individual ratings (and you are correct, mine were negative for the game) would be impacted by the team settings if the criteria (down by X with X left) were met.

The alternative renders the team settings meaningless.
2/15/2013 8:32 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 2/15/2013 8:32:00 PM (view original):
Right, that may in fact be what happened, but based on the available information in the knowledge base, that seems off.

Sub-Category    
  A.

The individual 3 point frequency setting allows you to adjust the frequency on a player basis against each type of defense.

• 0: Take a 3 pt. shot as part of the flow of the offense. That is determined based on numerous factors, including a player's position, skills, the style of defense and the positioning of the defense.
NOTE: If you leave the offensive distribution values to zero for all players, the computer will decide who should take shots AND their frequency of 3 pt. attempts - EVEN IF YOU HAVE VALUES FOR 3 PT. FREQUENCY.

Sub-Category    
  A. You can set an option to adjust the frequency of 3 point shots up or down based on certain game situations. So if the situation matches what your settings indicate, the SimEngine will adjust your team's 3 point frequency. The values for the setting range from +5 (take 3pt shots as much as possible, although that certainly does NOT mean every shot will be a 3 pt. shot) all the way down to -5 (rarely take 3pt. shots).

As I read it, your general individual ratings (and you are correct, mine were negative for the game) would be impacted by the team settings if the criteria (down by X with X left) were met.

i dont know if i interpret that the same way as you do. a guy at a -2, even with a +5, i could see not taking many 3s. it sort of is "giving up" when you have your center start jacking up 3s with 5 minutes left :O so, they are probably trying to be sensible, and just having the guys who took some threes, take more.
2/15/2013 9:12 PM
you take very few 3s, that sort of makes you an outlier case. my guess is if your guards were all at 0, with a +5, youd see mostly 3 point shots from your guards. but with seemingly all but maybe 2 guys at a -2, and those to at a -1, i dont think its outrageous to say 3 3s in 5 minutes is a drastic increase from 1 in 35 minutes, which is what happened in your game. that IS a drastic increase, from a percentage standpoint. i think the end game settings on team planning are VERY significant, but i will concede that you probably make them less so, with your extreme team setup. still, they are very meaningful in general, so i definitely disagree with that conclusion/statement.
2/15/2013 9:13 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 2/15/2013 9:14:00 PM (view original):
you take very few 3s, that sort of makes you an outlier case. my guess is if your guards were all at 0, with a +5, youd see mostly 3 point shots from your guards. but with seemingly all but maybe 2 guys at a -2, and those to at a -1, i dont think its outrageous to say 3 3s in 5 minutes is a drastic increase from 1 in 35 minutes, which is what happened in your game. that IS a drastic increase, from a percentage standpoint. i think the end game settings on team planning are VERY significant, but i will concede that you probably make them less so, with your extreme team setup. still, they are very meaningful in general, so i definitely disagree with that conclusion/statement.
But it wasn't really "3 threes in 5 minutes."

It was 0 threes in 5:44 and then 3 desperation threes in the last 0:16.

I suspect those threes would have happened regardless of the settings, no? Otherwise, if it was really the result of the +5 setting, what is the explanation for why (even at +5) there were 5 minutes and 44 seconds of precisely zero three-point attempts?
2/15/2013 10:02 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 2/15/2013 8:32:00 PM (view original):

Sub-Category    
  A.

Sub-Category    

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I get from these two Q&A's is that the key to getting the amount of 3's that would be acceptable to you at the end of the game, based on this you'd have to have 0 distribution. You'd have to give the sim engine total control of your team from tipoff to the final buzzer to nullify any individual 3pt settings you may have adjusted. So unless you don't set your distro then I'd have to say individual 3pt settings have some affect on end game team settings.
2/16/2013 3:25 AM
Is this working properly? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.