Return of the Intentional BB of Death Topic

[Boxscore]

Once upon a time, your team issuing an intentional BB in the 9th inning or later in a game that is tied was linked to a glitch that ended with your team losing the game in that inning. I hadn't seen a 9th inning IBB in some time, first time I've seen one in a long while and... an 8 run 9th inning occurs during a 1-1 game. Hope it was just a coincidence and not still a glitch (albeit one that occurs much less frequently).
4/29/2020 11:32 AM (edited)
I think this is evidence that the SIM has started to learn, and is becoming self-aware, like the computer programs in "Terminator." Soon it will be beaning batters it doesn't like. 
2/17/2013 9:44 AM
Or not apparently: here is the box score of a game where my team won with the winning run in a 9th inning rally scored by the pinch runner for a batter who got an intentional walk: 

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=19471344&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

Which means either - A) SIM is not self-aware and no Terminator scenario is likely to appear anytime soon, or B) The SIM IS self-aware but is just as stupid as any normal mediocre manager in the late inning games. 

Why do we assume self-awareness in artificial intelligence would not reduce its efficiency ? We also portray the machines as smarter and more effective than we are - I bet if you gave that computer that beat Kasparov family problems, or a bad hair day or whatever and it would have gotten its butt kicked. 
2/17/2013 8:12 PM
I just won a game where the winning run was but on base by an IBB in the bottom of the 9th.  Only legit reason I can think of is that we have the 1921 Babe Ruth in our league and the manager forgot to re set his intentional walk after the series was done.
2/18/2013 2:28 PM
Return of the Intentional BB of Death Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.