Pointless QB exercise Topic

Almost 2 rounds and no black QBs. The Jesse Jackson/Steven A. Smith/Donovan McNabb coalition is getting fired up
2/21/2013 7:22 PM
Berman: Whoa Nellie! Stine goes off the board for Fran Tarkenton. Mel, you had him around the 4th or 5th round.

Kiper: [clearly disgusted] Give me a break! There are two clear-cut winners on the board, and Stine goes for a scrambler who’s won fewer Super Bowls than Trent Dilfer? Fran Tarkenton was a nice player for a long time, but to put him in the top-15 when he hasn’t won anything, and nobody but his mother would pick him here... well, this is a titanic reach.

Berman: So who does MikeT take here, Bradshaw or Aikman?

Kiper: Let’s go back to Stine’s pick. THREE humiliating Super Bowl losses for Tarkenton. He was given the best defense of that generation and he parlayed it into… what? An inspirational book business for also-rans? All three of the quarterbacks that beat him should have been picked before him; Bradshaw, Griese, and Stabler. Sure, he has longevity on his side, but so does Vinny Testaverde. This is the first really questionable pick of this draft. The Rodgers pick looks like Jerry Rice compared to this.
2/21/2013 7:27 PM
Why would anyone pick Jerry Rice in a QB draft? That's just silly
2/21/2013 7:30 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/21/2013 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Almost 2 rounds and no black QBs. The Jesse Jackson/Steven A. Smith/Donovan McNabb coalition is getting fired up

"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," MikeT23 said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

2/21/2013 7:32 PM
We should have been able to finish this draft in about 5 minutes. Would you ladies hurry up
2/21/2013 7:33 PM
You held us up for 24 hours, dipshit.  STFU.

My real name is Mike Tingletary.    And I want winners!!!

Bart Starr.   9-1 in the playoffs and two Super Bowl MVPs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUggMX8AZzE
2/21/2013 7:51 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 2/21/2013 7:03:00 PM (view original):
I'm going Fran Tarkenton.

Aikman is a reach. Could he have had bigger stats in a different system? Perhaps, but I don't fixate on things that didn't happen.

It was down to Bradshaw-Tarkenton for me. I focused on the time period of both of them played. Tarkenton has him beat across the board, even taking out Bradshaw's terrible first two seasons.

Also if you look at pro-football references similar player list you have:

Bradshaw: Bob Griese, Bledsoe, Kelly, McNair, Esiason
Tarkenton: Elway, Marino, Unitas, Favre, Montana
Fran was my favorite football player by far when I was a kid.  I was hoping that he'd be a sleeper and fall to me in a later round.
2/21/2013 8:03 PM
If Kern takes Bradshaw and Aikman, he'll have the winningest QB from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. 
2/21/2013 9:22 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/21/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
You held us up for 24 hours, dipshit.  STFU.

My real name is Mike Tingletary.    And I want winners!!!

Bart Starr.   9-1 in the playoffs and two Super Bowl MVPs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUggMX8AZzE
NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS STARTING DAMMIT!!!

If I want your opinion, I'll ask bad_luck and do the opposite.
2/21/2013 10:22 PM
Nice pick on Starr, btw...I was hoping he'd fly under the radar until it got back down to me.
2/21/2013 10:22 PM
Not a fan of either but I'm choosing Bradshaw and Aikman.
2/22/2013 12:40 PM
Didn't expect the pickins to be this slim.     Jim Kelly by default.    How he's a top 20 QB all-time escapes me but the other options seemed more ridiculous.
2/22/2013 1:04 PM
Berman: So here we are in the third round.  One or two surprises along the way, and Mel, several quarterbacks with multiple championships on the board...

Kiper: That's right, Boomer.  And I expect to see several of them go in the next 20 picks.  Check out these qualifications: Heisman trophy winner, #1 pick, Rookie of the Year, Comeback Player of the year, two-time Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP...  Explain to me why Jim Plunkett is on the board while guys like Fran Tarkenton have been picked!!?!

Berman: Well, Sir Francis has the longevity and the durability...

Kiper: We need Herm Edwards up here.  You play.  To win.  The game.  Piling up stats over a long career does NOT make you great.  If you want a quarterback to throw a ball 70 yards, pick Kyle Boller.  If you want to win, you pick the Joe Montanas and Terry Bradshaws and Tom Bradys and Troy Aikmans.  Guess who's right behind them in Super Bowls....  Jim Plunkett.

Berman: Let's not forget Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, and Bob Griese and, oh yes, Eli Manning.

Keyshawn: What about Warren Moon?  My man won five Grey Cups and threw for a ton of yards...  Man, this draft is ridiculous.
2/22/2013 1:42 PM
I looked at Moon, but can't go in that direction after my first two picks
2/22/2013 1:52 PM
Tarkenton > Plunkett. You want to talk about Plunkett, and wins? He's .500 for his career.
2/22/2013 2:11 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...19 Next ▸
Pointless QB exercise Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.