Steals vs. Blocks Topic

Was thinking about my D3 team, which blocks a lot of shots, but doesn't get many steal. A steal seems like its a better defensive outcome than a blocked shot, since a steal is 100% going to terminate a possession and give your team the ball. A block can be rebounded by the blocked team and as such isn't 100%.

In real life, a player who blocks a lot of shots also changes shots at the rim. So in HD, if you have a player with a high BLK rating, even if he doesn't block the shot, he SHOULD be able to reduce the chance that the attempt in the paint is successful.

Right?

If not, I'm going to have to start playing small-ball.
2/18/2013 6:53 PM
yeah, blocked shots are just one benefit of the blocking rating. that said, blocking is pretty ****** in the press.
2/18/2013 6:55 PM
CBG, I don't run the press. Are you saying that the BLK rating influences PIP?
2/18/2013 6:59 PM
Maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but here's how i see it:
-To block shots you need ath + def + blk.  So, you need a rating that will only be used to challenge shots which, as stated earlier, can result in the team on offense retrieving the ball.
-To steal you need ath + def +spd (could be wrong about some of these ratings.  Those ratings all have other uses.  So, you don't lose any other skill by getting steals.  So, I prefer steals to blocks.  
2/18/2013 8:11 PM
I am pretty sure BLK influenced FG%.
2/19/2013 6:32 AM
I think it was coach_billyg (one of his IDs) who said he had done a regression analysis and it showed a correlation between the BLK rating and decreased FG percent for the opponents. I could be wrong, though. Maybe he'll see this and clear that up.
2/19/2013 8:40 AM
I think that was dahsdebater
2/19/2013 9:00 AM
Yeah it might have been.

I know someone mentioned it because I definitely remember seeing it.

2/19/2013 11:09 AM
Steals vs. Blocks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.