PF with 5 passing Topic

Is it dumb to recruit a PF at High DI (BCS school) running the triangle that only has a 5 passing?  He will not be the big that is called on to score (just rebound and play D) but is that low passing still an automatic elimination? Thoughts? Thanks.  
2/18/2013 7:48 PM
Not for me if his cores were worth it...but I would set his DISTO to zero.
2/19/2013 6:31 AM
OK, thanks trentonjoe.  It's always difficult to measure how much of an impact passing has on a player's productivity.  I have already extended a scholarship to him so I am pursuing him.  As a role player I feel like he will be effective for what I am looking for.  Plus he is only 10 miles away. Thanks for the thoughts.    
2/19/2013 7:53 AM
i would be fine with a 5 passing big in triangle d1. i definitely wouldnt set his distro to 0 either, unless he sucked offensively and that justified the 0. the reality is passing is not that important at the 4/5 and you can have fantastic players at those positions with no bh or passing. the team benefit of bh/pass at the 4/5 seems very, very slight (if anything), and the personal benefit is basically a relatively minor reduction in TOs. 50 less passing might cost you, what, half a TO on a 10ppg scorer? less? what does 50 less rebounding do? or 50 ath? they take a great d1 big from great to total ****/worthless (or they might be able to play sf). really, if the guy is great without looking at his bh/pass, hes great with 1 bh/pass or 50 bh/pass. dont sweat it, and i wouldnt play the player much differently, either.

honestly, if you offered me a 95 ath/reb/def/sb/lp big, and i could take him with 1 bh/pass or 60 bh/pass, id have to stop and think, hard. is 60 bh/pass worth him possibly leaving earlier? i dont know. probably not. id probably take the 95 everything important 1bh/pass guy and hope he graduates.
2/19/2013 3:15 PM (edited)
Great advice as always coach.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Passing and BH in bigs has always been gravy in my mind, however I am not a great coach so I always wonder if maybe i'm doing the little things wrong.  I tend to account for passing (somewhat) in my scoring big only because I think decent passing in my scoring big in the triangle is a positive.  However, I have never really measured to track specific results so who knows if that is true.  Either way, I don't consider it a major factor in determing the productivity of a potential player.     With that said I have never recruited a big with a passing at 5 rated at low potential!   Thanks for the thoughts.  It helps to know that I am not far off track!  Appreciate it.  
2/19/2013 4:35 PM
I use the triangle offense and I had a C with 5 passing once, but he great defensive numbers as well. I was unsure about getting him at first, but was glad that I did in the end. He was the conference player of the year and an all-American by his senior year.
2/19/2013 8:00 PM
PF with 5 passing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.