Relief pitching hierarchy question Topic

I'm in a theme league that is set up in such a way that I ended up with about 1300 rotation innings, 100 good bullpen innings and 400 mop-up innings. To make up for my shallow bullpen, I planned on making it to where my starters will help out in relief. But I'm not sure how the bullpen hierarchy works when you do this; specifically will the SIM call on my starters to pitch relief before my mop-up guys? I'd much rather have my starters come in to pitch before the mop-up guys.
2/19/2013 10:53 AM
Yes, I believe they are treated as Long B when starters work in relief.
2/19/2013 11:13 AM

I THINK (stress THINK) that starters in relief are considered LONG B.  LONG B are the guys Sparky uses when you are losing, or when you have no LONG A's, and your set ups aren't eligible to come in. 

IMO, you have enough IP without using the mopups.  Put them on rest, and save the good RP for inning 8 or later. 

Occasionally, use them to start a game and burn IP if needed.

(Looks like jfranco posted the same opinon about LONG B while I was writing this)

2/19/2013 12:18 PM (edited)
I do this reasonably frequently.  

I set the guys I want to pitch as Setup A and the guys I don't want to pitch as MopUp or rest.   Sparky will use your starters before mopups and the the setup A guys before starters (if the criteria are met).

Remember Sparky puts the pitcher with the best OAV in if there is a decision to be made on who comes in first, I frequent put my least bad pitcher in at mopup and the other chumps at rest for emergency situations.   If you put them all on mopup sometimes Sparky doesn't choose the guy I want to come in.

If you look at my Boston Red Sox team, you'll see an example of what this looks like in practice.

2/19/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/19/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
I do this reasonably frequently.  

I set the guys I want to pitch as Setup A and the guys I don't want to pitch as MopUp or rest.   Sparky will use your starters before mopups and the the setup A guys before starters (if the criteria are met).

Remember Sparky puts the pitcher with the best OAV in if there is a decision to be made on who comes in first, I frequent put my least bad pitcher in at mopup and the other chumps at rest for emergency situations.   If you put them all on mopup sometimes Sparky doesn't choose the guy I want to come in.

If you look at my Boston Red Sox team, you'll see an example of what this looks like in practice.

Thanks for posting this it was quite helpful. I'm using it for my Famous Slow Whats team and it is working exactly how I wanted / hoped.
3/11/2013 3:32 PM
Relief pitching hierarchy question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.