PGs in a motion offense Topic

Greetings:

I would suspect that in a motion offense, a "pure" passing PG wouldn't be as critical as it is in other offenses. Maybe he brings the ball up, but once the ball starts moving, the plays don't all run through him. Conversely, in a motion, all the other players passing and BH should be higher than in other offensive schemes.

That's what I'm logically thinking, wonder if this is the way the engine works..
2/20/2013 10:02 AM
not the way the engine works. across the board, pass is worth less is motion that triangle and flex, and ball handling is worth more. also, motion is a bit more like FB to me than the other offenses, in terms of what it takes to score - guard can REALLY tear it up, even high d1, with spd/bh based scoring, without such gaudy per numbers. triangle and flex definitely rely more on per and lp than motion does, it seems to me. im not saying by huge margins on any of this, this is subtle advice meant only for fine tuning. i think the passing/bh difference between motion and triangle, thats the biggest, i can see that effect on my teams really easily. the per/lp thing is less obvious but im very confident in the per side of that statement.

if you will keep in mind that these 3 offenses are 90% the same, and the subtle variations are only RELATIVE - so saying something is low importance, something which is generally high importance, just means its a little lower, but still important - then you can work off of these correlations for what it really takes to drive perimeter scoring:
triangle has less importance on speed than motion/flex (still very important)
motion has more importance on bh than triangle/flex (in scoring i mean)
motion has less importance on pass than triangle/flex

thus, both triangle and flex have a higher importance on per and pass, motion and flex have a higher importance on spd, and motion has a higher importance on bh. spd/per/bh are still highly important for per scoring in all 3 sets, and passing is still important in all sets, but these difference ARE significant enough to affect how you recruit. not drastically, but ill take an 80 per 99spd/bh guy in motion to be a lead scorer role, i wouldnt think he could be the #1 guy in other offenses. ill take a 99spd/per guy with only 60bh as a #1 scorer in flex, i would not in motion. ill take a 90 spd, 60 bh, 90 pass guard in d1 and be happy with him in triangle, but not motion. ill take a 90 spd, 90 bh, 65 pass in motion and be ok with him, but upset in triangle. so its not major differences, but its definitely enough to work into recruiting and team planning strategy...
2/20/2013 11:26 AM (edited)
PGs in a motion offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.