GUESS Reports Season 88 Topic

2/20/2013 2:15 PM
Thanks again Bob!  Click! Click!
2/20/2013 2:21 PM
Bob, I have a quick question for you.  Your system rated my OLBs a D+, yet reviewing your formula weightings I would assume that my OLBs rate rather highly.

Any insight as to why this might be the case?  Doesn't make mathematical sense to me [and not shooting the messenger here--I absolutely LOVE your GUESS reports, and look forward to them greatly after recruiting; for this being a non-"official" game aspect, I'm 100% serious when I say that I greatly look forward to it after every recruiting session].

BTW, my team is Penn State in Rockne.
2/20/2013 11:44 PM
The letter grades are based on the average score of your players at a position relative to the TOP score at that position.  A low scoring player at a position, or if one team for some reason has an ultra high average, can skew those numbers.

On your roster, you only have one player whose OLB score is higher than their ILB score, and so your "OLB" scoring group consists of one freshman.  

I have been contemplating an overhaul in the ratings, and this is one of the areas I plan to address.

2/21/2013 8:05 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 2/21/2013 8:05:00 AM (view original):
The letter grades are based on the average score of your players at a position relative to the TOP score at that position.  A low scoring player at a position, or if one team for some reason has an ultra high average, can skew those numbers.

On your roster, you only have one player whose OLB score is higher than their ILB score, and so your "OLB" scoring group consists of one freshman.  

I have been contemplating an overhaul in the ratings, and this is one of the areas I plan to address.

Thanks for the response.  Interesting that having a "higher" score in an alternate position supplants how the players are perceived at other positions.  I have a recruiting profile of what I look for at the various positions that I've used forever.  I emphasize linebacker speed [even though this is a fairly low weighting in your ILB ratings], and some of the LBs have top end speed for the position, very good athleticism, etc. and rate highly on the other attributes that are weighted highly in your ratings, which is why I was really surprised to see that I received a "D+" score for OLB.  I know that there might be DB conversions that can pull speed at LB higher than the 80 max, but my perspective is that some of the LBs I have are studs at OLB, even though they might rate even higher at ILB.  I don't differentiate between the positions when I recruit, and go after players that are fast and have good measurables in Strength, Athleticism, Tackling, Game Instinct, and Technique--to excel at both LB positions.  The younger players generally fill in at ILB for me, with the more experienced players [with higher formation IQs] shift to OLB, which is a more important role in my defensive schemes.  I'd be really interested in seeing how they'd rate at OLB without you lumping them into my ILB group.

In any event, thanks again for your response--and to reemphasize a point in my earlier post, I look forward tremendously to your GUESS ratings every year.  I'm not complaining about them, I was just curious about a score / rating that seemed out of whack.  Honestly, GUESS is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this game for me, I look forward to seeing your ratings after recruiting, and it is important to point out what a great service you provide to Gridiron Dynasty.  It is a testimony to your hard work that one of the things I look forward to most isn't even an "official" aspect of the game!
2/21/2013 10:43 AM
GUESS Reports Season 88 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.