How to make my team not shoot so many threes? Topic

Well I'm a new coach and I have two players who are 99 and 90 on perimeter, so on the first exhibition game I played against Indiana State, I went to player game plan and set them both to +2 on 3 point shot, so they would take more, and everyone else was below that, well we beat Indiana State but we took 30 threes, so I went and lowered it to +1 before our next exhibition game against Penn State, that game we ended up shooting 28 threes. I want my guys to be shooting threes, but not 30 a game, I don't want to live and die by the three, and it seems like those are the only shots those two guys take, so could someone tell me how I could lower my total threes taken from 30 to about 15 or so?
2/20/2013 5:26 PM
You actually might want both of those guys at +2, especially the one with 99 perimeter. With that being said, you can bring them down to 0 or -1 and you'll see a decrease. At 0, players still shoot a good amount of threes, so you might like that option.
2/20/2013 5:28 PM
I understand where you're coming from and I would love for them to take a lot of threes if they could hit most of them, but for instance, against Penn St, my 99 ovr shooter was 3-10 from 3 and my 90 ovr was 5-14, and against Indiana St my 99 shooter was 7-18 and my 90 ovr was 3-8
2/20/2013 5:36 PM
Keep in mind you were playing D1 teams which presumably have decent defenses, especially by D3 standards -- your shooters will have better success against weaker D3 defenses. Heck, I'll take 7-for-18 every day of the week and not think twice about bombing away at +2 with the guy.
2/20/2013 5:46 PM
You have a point, I guess we'll have to see how well they play tomorrow.
2/20/2013 5:49 PM
Adjusted for 3-pt shooting,  3 of 10 is 45%;   5 of 14 is 53%;  7 of 18 is 58.3%, and 3 of 8 is 56.3% .

Nothing wrong with those numbers!  But you can lower their 3's by setting them to 0, rather than +1. 
2/20/2013 5:50 PM
How to make my team not shoot so many threes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.