Scout tells you kid could be All-American... Topic

How much merit do you guys put into that?

When I scout a kid sometimes they will say 

Overall, I think he'll be a solid Division II player. Can't see many of the big boys up in D1 going after him.

And sometimes I get

Overall, I think he's got what it takes to be a DII All-American before all is said and done. He could contribute at DI with a maybe a redshirt season under his belt.

Should I always take the All-American kid?
2/23/2013 2:23 AM
I rank the All-American email right up there with "The check is in the mail." ; "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." ; and "I never inhaled."
2/23/2013 3:02 AM

I think those statements are, for the most part, window dressing. IMO, even though those statements seem to imply potential, my experience has been that they are based more on where the player is ranked right now, as a freshman/recruit...not where their potential will take them as a jr/sr. The meat of the scouting report is whether the recruit is high/high vs. low/high in core categories. 

I've only played D3, but I would take "he'll be a solid D3 player" over a "could be a D2 AA w/ a redshirt" if the "solid D3 player" has better potential in his cores. 

2/23/2013 7:18 AM
to echo the others I put zero actual value on those messages, but I do like it when he says good things...
2/23/2013 9:33 AM
Scout tells you kid could be All-American... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.