Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

dspahlinger - if we can get this thing running quick enough, the draft could be 3/4 over before you leave.  if not, we will wait as to not rush and to avoid losing someone who's heart has been in it from the start.  don't worry.

blueorange - plenty of room for you, just don't win too many games   let me know what city & park you want and i'll put you on the list.
3/3/2013 2:31 PM
Is the league straighten out ??
3/3/2013 3:29 PM
i believe it is as straight as any league has ever been (at least so far).  we need 2 people so i can start up the draft and get any last votes taken care of.
3/3/2013 11:09 PM
I've been reading this post the past few days and would like to jump in and claim one of the last two spots if still available.
Bay City Brawlers, stadium TBD
3/4/2013 1:08 AM
you got it!
3/4/2013 9:41 AM
let's get that last spot filled tonight!  i will start loading the available players lists w/ salaries tonight so you can start game-planning. we will run with 12 teams + AAA for the first season (1901), we will vote on whether to do AAA the second season based on how season one is going.  there will be plenty of players to go around, but be ready to platoon at C and at 1B (surprised at IB).  this will take some managing skills, but that's why we are doing it.  plug and play is too easy sometimes.  

draft order will be done by owner rating - lowest goes first - and it will be a snake draft (team w/ last pick in 1st round will get 1st pick in the 2nd).  Once draft order is detirmined, i have zero problems with anyone who wants to trade order w/ anyone else.  some like to go early, some late, some in between....  after this initial draft, it will be in order of previous year's standings (worst goes first) and will not be a snake draft.

this is a small list of owners, let's see if we can get the draft running before dspahlinger goes on vacation and maybe finish before the 9th.  if it takes longer, so be it.  there will be no "on the clock" picks until he returns (assuming we can't finish this week, and i doubt we will be able).
3/4/2013 1:38 PM (edited)
Will it still be possible, say that someone wants to trade a player(s) in this season, to trade them for future draft picks (1902,1903,etc)?

Also, how will be know when it's our turn to draft?

3/4/2013 1:55 PM
I'm not sure that you'll need AAA even in 1901. If you take a look, there plenty of players at every position (including pitchers) if you set the "Min Games at 'Position'/and 0 PA". Check it out but it's your call. I'm in it for the long run anyway.

I've also noticed that everyone should expect 'at lot' of errors. Hardly any player is better than D+/C+ ( I guess those old gloves didn't work so well - lol).

3/4/2013 2:47 PM
I'll be your huckleberry. Perronville Pubs playing at Coors Field.
3/4/2013 7:32 PM
magjmagj is the final owner.  welcome aboard!  and solid call on Coors Field.  i didn't have the balls to do it, glad someone did.

bnicarlson - i think for insurance we will have the AAA.  i'd rather we have too much then not enough.  and i know it's a close call w/ # of players.  MLB wasn't running with a 25 man roster in those days.  they also were limited in fielding (as you pointed out).  but you will find a few gems out there defensively.  i believe Wagner & Lajoie were considered defensive studs in their time (as well as with the bat), and i know there's a few B/B+ types in the mix as well.  check out Roy Thomas in the OF if you are concerned with defense.  yes, trades for future picks are fine, limited to the next draft. and if you ditch the team after trading a pick you will be hunted down and killed by my neighbor's mangy dog.  or my deafheaven's neighbor's dog.  whichever one is local and/or mangiest.

i think we will need a few 200k players to fill out rosters.  I will get that figured out before it's time to roll.

player lists coming up in an hour.  for the initial draft, i will try to get a schedule together for everyone and we will draft as best as we can.  special considerations will be taken for those who are unavailable at times.  possibly one pick a day until spring training trips are over, then we will try and get a good run during a weekend to finish and get rolling.  please, if there are any times you will be without internet access, let me know asap so i can work around it.  i know things come up.  if we are patient for the next week or two we should be smooth-sailing until at least 1912.

welcome aboard everyone!!!!  this is a great group of owners and i know we will be having some fun.
3/4/2013 8:18 PM
Just so I'm sure, every year we draft a completely new team? No keepers at all, just a new 25 man roster each year?
3/4/2013 8:28 PM
ok i purchased a new team and i think i figured out how to see who was available in 1901. is there any way to tell how long a player would be eligible? also, i purchased the team as an open league team. i assume that i can switch this to the private thenme league once it is setup?
3/4/2013 9:15 PM
I believe we keep as many as you want. Limited only by the player's career range.

Example- you draft Eddie Plank, he's eligible through thru the 1917 season. After which he retires and has to be replaced.
If I understand it correctly you can cut a player before his real life career ends but once cut he's gone he's gone for good.

Thats the way I was understanding it anyway.
3/4/2013 9:17 PM
ok i found the baseball reference link for the players. btoy, i think not necessarily gone for good, but if you drop a player he is eligible for draft.
3/4/2013 9:32 PM
all players are potential keepers.  when you draft him, he is yours until you trade or release him, or he retires.  if you cut him, he becomes available for the next draft he he is still active.  you will want to be careful who you cut.

yes, team can be switched to theme league.  once draft is over and i load my team, league will be available to the others.

3/4/2013 9:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.