Idea -- Checking for feedback Topic

I love HD, but one of the things that's always bothered me about the game is the lack of opportunity to exploit certain on-court circumstances the way one would in real life (say, by running a play specifically designed to get the ball to the guy being guarded by the defender with 4 fouls...)

Here's one change I think they could do in that regard. Let the five fatigue categories represent a point total (for argument's sake...Fresh =5, Fairly fresh=4, Getting tired=3, Tired=2, Very tired =1) and add the total together at all times for the five players currently on the floor to get a "team fatigue" rating. Then give me a dropdown menu on the team game plan page that reads something like "When team fatigue rating exceeds opponent's by (dropdown menu for point margin here), run (offense) at (slowdown/normal/up tempo)."

This would allow coaches to take advantage of specific on-court circumstances that currently can't be accounted for with the tools we're given. I might not want to run uptempo against a team for a full game because I lack a sufficient stat advantage in my eyes. But if I can exploit a sub rotation situation where for a 2-3 minute surge my guys are fresher, then heck yes I'd like to be pushing it while my opponent's tongues are dragging the floor for that limited period of time.

Just a thought on a Tuesday morning...throwing it out there to see what others think.
2/26/2013 11:39 AM
There are a lot of other things that need fixing before we get to that.  Its not a bad idea, just not high on the priority list.
2/26/2013 12:00 PM
I think there are some interesting things you could do using this basic methodology, but I wouldn't be supportive of this specific example.

It's pretty rare that fatigue really comes into play in a serious way in college basketball, unless there's some kind of 40 Minutes of Hell defense or really uptempo offense being employed. These are 20-yr-old kids in peak physical condition.

There has been an adjustment made for HD that does not reflect reality in this regard, and I'm actually supportive of it because I feel like it greatly deepens the strategy/gameplanning aspect. That said, to zero in on it any more would be a big mistake and go too far, in my opinion.

But, I do think there are other nice applications (unrelated to fatigue) with a similar rationale that could be used.
2/26/2013 12:05 PM
I like this idea, the ability to attack a player with 4 fouls, any similar gameplanning possibilities to these, and any others that can be integrated properly that would add to gameplanning strategy.
2/26/2013 7:17 PM
There needs to be a penalty or alternate option to temporarily pushing your Offense towards a tired or foul troubled defender. Because who wouldn't do that?

2/27/2013 2:42 PM
Foul trouble I agree.

Although it drives me bonkers how rarely coaches actually take advantage of this in real life. Amazingly little.

Here's the thing ... if we can target a guy in foul trouble, there's gotta be a way to be able to move that defender off a primary scorer and on to a lesser player, as they'd do in real life. Otherwise, fouling out key players becomes way too easy and gimmicky. Until both can be accomplished, I don't think they should consider implementing the first part.

2/27/2013 9:56 PM
Idea -- Checking for feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.