2/26/2013 2:24 PM
I would like OLB, ILB, DT, DE, and RB, FB differentiations.
2/26/2013 2:25 PM
Depth chart and player settings tabs seem redundant.
2/26/2013 2:27 PM
I only have Pro set and 3-4 options under gameplans
2/26/2013 2:29 PM
Player guide will need a total rewrite.
2/26/2013 2:33 PM
Posted by martini35504 on 2/26/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Player guide will need a total rewrite.
I think you just volunteered?  
2/26/2013 2:42 PM
Something told me to learn programming years ago when in college. I should have listened to my gut instincts
2/26/2013 4:03 PM
Posted by martini35504 on 2/26/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):
You can create custom playbooks to use in the game plans.  We are also going to work on creating more global playbooks to choose from.
2/27/2013 1:12 AM
Posted by martini35504 on 2/26/2013 2:24:00 PM (view original):
I agree.  THis would help.  I can't speak for everyone, but navigating the new depth chart seems confusing to me.  The differentiations in the old engine were clear as day.  I like that players can play in more than one position, but if I can't figure out how to make it happen, or am turned off by the effort required, it is not really useful.  This is not a complaint as much as feedback.  I am sure it can be figured out, and has been by most players.  However, if a small number of players can't navigate the coaching options who read these forums and have experience with the game, I imagine new players will be pretty baffled.   
2/27/2013 3:00 PM
Quote from the main forum...

"I am in the Beta and I like the current engine more than the new one. The simpler design alone is preferable to me. Just tweak it.

Besides that, we are just shuffling deck chairs. Everytime we change the engine, a group of people will dislike something.  As the Who said, "Meet the new boss; Same as the old boss."
2/28/2013 10:39 AM
Posted by samson75 on 2/27/2013 1:12:00 AM (view original):
I agree.  THis would help.  I can't speak for everyone, but navigating the new depth chart seems confusing to me.  The differentiations in the old engine were clear as day.  I like that players can play in more than one position, but if I can't figure out how to make it happen, or am turned off by the effort required, it is not really useful.  This is not a complaint as much as feedback.  I am sure it can be figured out, and has been by most players.  However, if a small number of players can't navigate the coaching options who read these forums and have experience with the game, I imagine new players will be pretty baffled.   
I think it's just a matter of making the new settings more clear.  You basically have everything you need to differentiate these positions with the Advanced settings which I expect people of any experience are going to use.

Don't be confused by the fact that you now have several depth charts for each position.  Let's look at RBs.  In 2.0, you had an RB and a FB depth chart, and if that's what you want to use, continue to use them in 3.0.  They are still there.  If you want to set the formation to mimic the old slot/depth charts, set the blocking RB in your default formation sets to use the FB depth chart.  At that point, you have exactly what you had in 2.0 and now you just fill out your depth charts as you used to.  The one change is that a player is not limited to one depth chart, which is a good thing if you've ever faced having your backup RBs also be your best choice for FB.

But that's not the whole story.  For RB, you also had a setting for Third Down Back and Short Yardage Back.  Those are actually depth charts with a limit of 1 player.  In 3.0, to mimic this, use your RB Possession and RB Power depth charts.  Then build a couple formations where you set the RB to pull from those depth charts and name them as such, like "I-Formation: Short Yardage" or "I-Formation: Power".  in 2.0, when the Third Down Back and Short Yardage Back was used was fixed for certain situations.  In 3.0, you decide which of those situations you use them for; just select those new formations that use those depth charts when setting up your playbook.

For new users, remember that they will only see the basic settings and will only know that there are depth charts for each position (natural position) which is why there is no split position roles at the Basic level.  But this shouldn't be as confusing for them as it is for you, since they've never dealt with the old settings.  The idea is that as they get comfortable with the settings and feel they need more, they move to Advanced settings and since it follows the same structure as they are used to with just more options, it shouldn't be as confusing for them.  It's actually probably more confusing for you that have been used to the old settings, but I'm sure everything will work out with a little time.

2/28/2013 7:21 PM (edited)
Posted by samson75 on 2/27/2013 1:12:00 AM (view original):
You have all of those Position Roles, and more.  Including one or two user defined roles at each position.  See my post on how to set DB and CB roles differently in 4-3 and Nickle.
2/28/2013 8:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I am going to take what you guys offered and have another go at it later tonight.  I am sure I can figure it out. 
2/28/2013 8:27 PM
Posted by martini35504 on 2/26/2013 2:27:00 PM (view original):
You have to CREATE game plans.
3/1/2013 4:05 PM
Found the depth chart.  Thanks Hughes for the directions in the other thread.  Worked like a charm and opened up all the possibilities I kept reading about but was missing. 

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.