Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

20 playoff games.

5679 yds, 63.9%, 32 TD, 21 INT, 88.4 rating.

The INT is pretty bad but the rest is pretty damn good against the best defenses the NFL has to offer.   A made FG here, a good tackle there and he's suddenly 14-6 and no one thinks twice about the INTs.
2/28/2013 11:04 AM
7 of those were in the super bowl winning season....did he win only because of the team that he was on?
2/28/2013 11:10 AM
Looks to me like the Colts had a good draw with KC/Balt being inept offensively.   I'd argue that all QB win SB because of the team their on. 
2/28/2013 11:15 AM
Winning the SB is always a function of an entire team, which the QB is only one part of.
2/28/2013 11:16 AM
Yup, been when you are throwing pick six's in playoff games, you sure aren't giving that team a very good chance to win.
2/28/2013 11:25 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2013 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Looks to me like the Colts had a good draw with KC/Balt being inept offensively.   I'd argue that all QB win SB because of the team their on. 
Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls, and threw 11 touchdown passes and ZERO interceptions.

Manning lost a Super Bowl because he threw a horrendous pick-six.
2/28/2013 11:45 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/28/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls, and threw 11 touchdown passes and ZERO interceptions.

Remember all those tackles he made against Cincy?  Yeah, me neither.  

Football is a team game. 

Remember Ray Rice coughing up fumbles like a cat with a bad case of hairballs?   Probably not because the Raven won.
2/28/2013 12:20 PM
I honestly think I have the second best group of the 8, but I'm not so sure the best is the group that currently has more votes than I do.....

Montana is Rushmore, but I don't consider Bradshaw nor Cunningham anywhere close to 'GREAT' status
2/28/2013 2:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2013 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 2/28/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

Remember all those tackles he made against Cincy?  Yeah, me neither.  

Football is a team game. 

Remember Ray Rice coughing up fumbles like a cat with a bad case of hairballs?   Probably not because the Raven won.
Everyone has their job.  The quarterback's job is to score points and NOT turn the ball over.  NOBODY was better in the history of the Super Bowl at those things than Montana.  If Manning doesn't throw a pick-six, maybe he's 2-0.  BUT HE THREW THE PICK.  His defense couldn't help him because they weren't on the field.  Manning ****** up.  Montana NEVER did in the Super Bowl.

Manning can't carry Joe's jock.  He's top-eight level, maybe top-five.  But nowhere near #1.
2/28/2013 3:25 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think a career is built, or destroyed, in 4 games.   If Montana played fantastic but his D just gave up 45 in each Super Bowl, is he less of a QB?
2/28/2013 3:36 PM

Yah, but you can't discard the MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE YEAR as if it were a mid-season game against the Cardinals either.  Montana was playing against the best team in the AFC, with two weeks to prepare a game plan to beat him, deceive him, and rattle him.  Montana is the best.  The only other one that could make a reasonable case is probably Otto Graham.  Unitas had a lot of pretty crummy seasons after 1959, and Brady's playoff performances have gotten steadily worse.

When Montana was replaced by Young (for being basically too expensive and proud to back up), he took KC to the playoffs twice.  Can't blame the system for that.

2/28/2013 3:46 PM
I agree with Mike.  I have a hard time putting as much emphasis on playoff and Super Bowl wins when "getting a win" really isn't in the QB's control as much as stats are.
2/28/2013 4:03 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/28/2013 4:03:00 PM (view original):
I agree with Mike.  I have a hard time putting as much emphasis on playoff and Super Bowl wins when "getting a win" really isn't in the QB's control as much as stats are.
But stats aren't the reason you play the game.  If they were, you all should be touting Dan Marino as the best ever.  Or Brett Favre.

QB is the single most important position on the field.  He might not completely control the outcome, but he has a greater impact on the result than any other player.
2/28/2013 4:12 PM
He does control the outcome more than any other players.  But he doesn't control the outcome.

Again, I do think wins in the Super Bowl has a say in this argument, just not as much as you.  (Hypothetical coming, sorry) - If McMahon stayed healthy on the 86 Bears, and then won back to back Super Bowls, would it be right for him to be in this conversation?  Every other QB with 2 rings or more IS, so logic says that he would be too.  But he clearly is not as good as most of these other guys.  It's about winning, but winning games really isn't in your control.
2/28/2013 4:22 PM
What about Trent Dilfer?  Baltimore had a sick D.   With just a little bit of offense or a slightly better D, and Dilfer sticking around, would we call him a possible all-time great if he won 2 more?    Or would Brady suddenly suck if his kicker misses a couple of FG?

And NOBODY seems to be mentioning Rapelisberger.  He has two rings and is pretty young.  Pitt could easily win a couple more with him running the show.  JOE ******* FLACCO!!!

Saying "But, yeah, he's got three rings" and ignoring everything else is retarded.
2/28/2013 5:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...18 Next ▸
Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.