Recruiting question... Topic

In this situation, we assume that you only have enough money to make a scholarship offer and nothing else.

If you have come down to the final cycle of recruiting (very last cycle of signing) and you have 1 scholarship left... and you have made an offer to your #1 option who is still "yellow", but your #2 option is "green" and  you also make an offer to him in that final cycle... if both of them choose you... which one would you get? The "yellow" guy that you made the offer to earlier in the process or the "green" one whom you just offered on the last cycle? 

Or... is it just a toss up?

So, if you really want your #1 option, are completely screwing your chances by offering to the "green" option in the last cycle before the "yellow" makes his decision?

Just curious which way you could expect this situation to go. Thanks for any insight anyone can give,
2/27/2013 8:52 PM
Let me preface by saying I only came back to this game a season ago after a long layoff so I may not be the most knowledgeable here. However, I believe it would be a toss up. If I remember right, and based on what I have seen, the system processes actions before signing but what order the signings are processed in is an unknown. At least to me. 

2/27/2013 9:39 PM
Was the the yellow guy leaning your way, if so I wouldn't offer to anybody else? Not positive who would win in your scenario but my feeling is you'd get the green recruit.
2/28/2013 7:50 AM
I was once told in the final cycle after all recruiting effort is processed the greens get signed first, then yellows based on their preferrence.  I've been in this situation more than once and there is no clear cut answer. Too many variables...is the other coach gonna dump the rest of his cash on the yellow? Is the yellow considering the other coach period? Is the other coach a SimAI?  And in the old days the SimAIs spent their wad right away but I understand that isn't the case now.  If the yellow and green are similar in quality  and the green can fill a role I'd go with the green BUT if the yellow is leaps and bounds better than the green I'd roll the dice and take my chances.  If I don't sign him I can shrug my shoulders and cut the Sim recruit next season.  GL
2/28/2013 7:57 AM
Posted by rwings1927 on 2/28/2013 7:50:00 AM (view original):
Was the the yellow guy leaning your way, if so I wouldn't offer to anybody else? Not positive who would win in your scenario but my feeling is you'd get the green recruit.
He hasn't offered the scholarship yet, so he doesn't know where he stands with the recruit.

To the OP:
A recruit will be yellow just before the very last cycle is run only if the team in the lead hasn't offered a scholarship yet; otherwise, the recruit will have already signed (this gives the team that lost the battle a chance to find a replacement).

However, if a recruit is still yellow on the very last cycle, and the team trailing has offered a scholarship, then there's a chance (I forget if it's just a chance or it's a sure thing) that the recruit will sign with the team that made the offer.

If you offer a scholarship to both the green and the yellow, then it's a tossup as to which recruit will sign with you.

2/28/2013 9:27 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Great information from everyone.

My situation has resolved itself, however. We're still a couple of days away from the final signing day... and the "yellow" just signed with my competition. Therefore, I just made the offer to the "green" recruit, so I should land him now. 

I was just looking ahead at what might have been a situation down the road. And, I was hoping that both guys I was recruiting against may have already run out of cash also... but oh well. Them's the breaks! I hate that I lost the guy... but at least it didn't come down to me having to "roll the dice" in the end possibly. 

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure this will all come in handy during recruiting in another season.

The ATLien

2/28/2013 1:54 PM
Recruiting question... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.