On Lance McAlister's show here in Cincinnati tonight, Lance stated that SI is about release an article that the 7 basketball only schools in the Big East will be leaving the conference next fall and taking the Big East name with them.  They are taking Xavier and Butler with them and it will be a 9 team league next season.  They are speculating that Dayton, St. Louis, and Creighton will join the following season making it a 12 team league.  There is supposed to be a news conference on Tuesday and they are announcing a TV deal that will bring $3million a year to the new Big East members, and the new alignment will be announced then.
2/28/2013 9:28 PM (edited)
I'm so happy villanova got out of the old conference. We are making the ncaa tourney this year!!
2/28/2013 9:32 PM
There's an article on cbssports.com about it as well.
2/28/2013 9:34 PM
Posted by phillyboy107 on 2/28/2013 9:32:00 PM (view original):
I'm so happy villanova got out of the old conference. We are making the ncaa tourney this year!!
im happy st.johns is doing the same i hope we can squeeze into the tourney but we need to win at least 2 of our next 3 and a few CT games i hope we can do it.
2/28/2013 9:53 PM
It appears they keep the BigEast name and the conference tourney in MSG.
Sounds like they'll sign with Fox Sports, as Fox rolls out their FoxSport1 and FoxSports 2 national channels.  (the old Speed and Fuel channels) 

I'm interested to see what Notre Dame does.

Will they stay with the old Big East schools for one final season?
Will they leave for the ACC a season early?   They're not tied to the BigEast like Louisville is with football.
Will they follow the C7 for a season or so?   Could they be the 10th team next season?  Would they be welcome?

3/2/2013 10:24 AM (edited)
I'll be glad when it's official. I fear that Xavier may stay with the A-10 out of some 'loyalty' issue.   It'd be so nice to have Georgetown and Villanova come to town instead of Fordham and St. Bonaventure
3/2/2013 4:47 AM
ND now said it would be open to joining the new Big East.  I know they are probably talking about just next season, but it makes you wonder if they are reconsidering the ACC. 
3/2/2013 9:26 AM
 if it were only basketball, I think Notre Dame would join the new Big East. But it's getting harder and harder to schedule for football and Notre Dame needs those 5 ACC games. 
3/2/2013 10:00 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/2/2013 10:00:00 AM (view original):
 if it were only basketball, I think Notre Dame would join the new Big East. But it's getting harder and harder to schedule for football and Notre Dame needs those 5 ACC games. 
I think ND is staying independent for football actually.
3/3/2013 8:20 AM
Posted by jeffsu on 3/3/2013 8:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/2/2013 10:00:00 AM (view original):
I think ND is staying independent for football actually.
Yes, they are, but they've contractually agreed to play 5 ACC teams/season
3/3/2013 8:23 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 3/2/2013 4:47:00 AM (view original):
I'll be glad when it's official. I fear that Xavier may stay with the A-10 out of some 'loyalty' issue.   It'd be so nice to have Georgetown and Villanova come to town instead of Fordham and St. Bonaventure

Might even travel down for a St John's game!

3/5/2013 7:43 AM
I'd be shocked if Xavier passes.   I think loyalty has it's price.   Staying in the A-10 earns them what $300-400k max?   Even if the founding C7's keep a disproportinate share and X only gets a half share, that's probably more than 5 times what they'd receive by staying in the A-10.

Fox will pay and pay well for this contract.  Probably in the area of $40 million annually.  It's possible the C7 could bring in  2-3 times what a basketball only school earned in the old BEast.

The C7 left a good share of exit money behind ($20-30 million each for UConn, Cinci and USF) and will need a great media deal to recoup those funds.
3/5/2013 10:13 PM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.