Managing a pitching staff Topic

I have enjoyed a reasonable amount of success in this game, but I still have difficulty managing a pitching staff. In particular, I am trying to manage a team in tridentrics dodgeball league, That is mlb 103609, my team is the Artful Dodgers. I lostt 3 of my original choices for SP due to the nature of the league, and the WW, and its' penalties leave one with options that are a bit more limited than we might like.
  this is the staff I now have. How would one manage this staff?
SP: '09 Ed Summers
      '14 Doc Watson
Part time SPs:'08 Elmer Steele
                          '01 Pedro Martinez
                         '13 Ed Reulbach
                         '50 Jim Hearn
Bullpen:'28 Hal Haid
              '15 Hooks Wiltse
               '18 Oscar Tuero
              '08 Harry Coveleski
              '15 Cy Falkenburg
              '15Tim McCabe
The ball park is Target. I drafted a good defensive team, '70 Wynegar behind the plate, '82 Ozzie Smith, '94 Lemke, and '16 Max Carey in CF. Any thoughts, ideas, criticisms? I would appreciate any and all conversations on this subject. Maybe I should just grab a couple of 200k Ps and throw a few games? Thanks in advance.

3/1/2013 8:34 PM (edited)
301 245 120 118 158(120?) 141(132?)

...Yeah, this is a bind... I would say Summers as SP1, Watson as T2A, Martinez as T2B, Reulbach as T3A, Hearn as T3B and recognize that your pitchers just aren't going to go deep into games. If you run into trouble you may need to tank a game. Steele can be Long A, which is good as he'll be coming in to quite a few games.

Especially note that Martinez probably needs to be on the minimum 40 PC, and even then might struggle... if 30-35 was an option I'd do it, but it's not...
3/1/2013 7:34 PM
Personally I'd throw my 1st 2 games with AAA
then set up
#1 summers
2a pedro
2b doc
3a reul
3b hearn
steele long a
set your starters to target 85 pitches max 95 with a pull of 3.
then adjust pitch counts as you go and throw aaa when you and your pen need a rest against the other league.
I'm not much of a fan of Tandem pitching. mostly because we can't set pitch counts around 25 or 30

3/1/2013 10:51 PM
put one or two of those little SP in Long Relief, then move them into the rotation when somebody gets tired. If you're an active manager just keep shuffling a few pitchers between rotation relief and rest. try to start Reulbach and Steele against power teams and the HR pitchers against others. With these pitchers I like Tandems better than A/B Starters because it's easier to manage pitch counts, there's more PH opportunities, and the L/R tandem gives a slight advantage because your opponent gets caught with the wrong lineup. add 200k pitchers if you need more total innings, otherwise just move them around.
3/2/2013 2:32 PM (edited)
These are all great ideas, but I too favor tandem pitchers.  Otherwise, lower pitch counts overall and use steele and reule as spot starters.
3/3/2013 7:00 AM
Managing a pitching staff Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.