Is it still true that formation IQ is regarded as next to useless in DIII GD? I can't see much about it in recent posts, and the last ones I see were saying that it was likely a waste of time that could be spent improving players. 
3/1/2013 2:10 PM
Truth depends on whom you ask....IMO, FIQ is worth the time to practice.  It does not control the outcome of a game, but is another "tool" to use or not use for your teams.
3/1/2013 4:54 PM
I agree with harris but use minimal amounts, I go with only 8 minutes on 2 off. sets and 2 def. and 5 in st.
3/1/2013 6:28 PM
It may be more of a separator at Division I and I-AA, where the talent among human-coached teams is roughly equal.
We don't yet know how formation IQ will be prioritized in Version 3.0, although we do know it will be part of the equation for play execution.

3/2/2013 8:09 AM
I use much more; around 18-19, and around 13 on ST.

Love to hear from some other coaches
3/2/2013 7:00 PM
12-15 on each formation (2 off and 2 def).

When I only use 1 formation (like wishbone), I put the whole 25-30 min into that formation.

15 on ST

I do the same at D3, D2, D1AA.
3/2/2013 10:33 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 3/2/2013 10:33:00 PM (view original):
12-15 on each formation (2 off and 2 def).

When I only use 1 formation (like wishbone), I put the whole 25-30 min into that formation.

15 on ST

I do the same at D3, D2, D1AA.
^ given that you just won an NC in D3 Wilkinson, I am going to drop my IQ training a bit....... :)
3/3/2013 11:43 AM
I use 3-5 min on 4 off and 3 def and found no difference in total improvement on a season when I use to use 10. I put more into position practice and find my players are progressing better than when I put more time into formations.
3/5/2013 1:00 AM
I use no formation practice at Div 3.  I find I can more than make up the core point loss from a lack of form IQ with extra individual practice.
3/6/2013 12:26 AM
Form IQ is useless in DIII, IMO.
Next to useless in DII.
Marginally useful in DIAA
Useful in DI
3/6/2013 1:00 PM
Practicing formations at the DII-DIII is..."useless"?

I better switch up how I coach those teams ASAP or else I may fall behind the curve!!!

3/6/2013 1:29 PM
I mean..I can get the logic behind. For instance, if the benefit of IQ is up to 5% bonus or 5% penalty to attributes and you can use the extra individual to get 10% more out of your attributes, then logically it makes sense that it is useless at DIII particularly when you recruit above average and high potential recruits. I just don't know enough of the math to know if its true or not. 
3/6/2013 3:51 PM
Posted by noah23 on 3/6/2013 3:51:00 PM (view original):
I mean..I can get the logic behind. For instance, if the benefit of IQ is up to 5% bonus or 5% penalty to attributes and you can use the extra individual to get 10% more out of your attributes, then logically it makes sense that it is useless at DIII particularly when you recruit above average and high potential recruits. I just don't know enough of the math to know if its true or not. 
Pretty Simple. If you have a DIII player with an average of 50 in his cores, then his abilities will increase 2.5 points, maximum. However, since the IQ growth is so small, people rarely get out of the "no penalty" range.

Another way to consider it...
With no practice you are looking at a 2.5 point penalty, maximum. However, allocating additional points allocated to most attributes for players in DIII will result in 2 - 5 ponits growth per season (depending on WE and POTS).

On the other hand, in D1AA and D1 where cores can average between 80 - 90 points, the IQ advantage is inflated to a maximum of around 8 or 9 points. If you invest wisely, that is VERY useful in D1AA or D1, IMO.
3/6/2013 4:35 PM
So you are saying that the extra practice time translates to between 8 and 20 points in a core category over the four years (if his potential allows it I would guess) Seriously..that makes me think that it is a waste of time to practice sets. Interesting. 
3/6/2013 8:56 PM
Lets go back to player growth.  I have NOT done a full study, but it has been noted many times that there is a point of diminishing returns on practice time for attributes.  I'm thinking its like 20-25 minutes.  So, IMO that leaves some time to be used for Formation practice, which I still "think" is advantageous...even at D3.

Now, I go back to my original comment in this thread...."Truth depends on whom you ask..."  

I'm not arguing here...just pointing out additional thoughts for the OP and other readers to consider.
3/6/2013 9:01 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.