RATE MY TEAM?? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Your pitchers were abducted by space aliens. They came back with implants in their arms.
3/2/2013 11:41 PM
always good to see a familiar name pop back up!
3/3/2013 2:01 AM
C+
3/3/2013 5:54 AM
C-

First it seems that you are way short of at bats.  Who will be your regulat f\irst baseman (I could not find 1911 Kitty Bransfield)?  This line-up does not meet the minimum numbers for AB.  4 man and 2 man rotations are in the decline now, with most people opting for 3 men.  08 Addie Joss is the ultimate pitching machine now and it is extremely difficult to win in open leagues without him.  13 Cravath is a steal - he always out produces his RL stats for me.  I wouldn't waste the money on 33 Ruth, as you are overpaying for his HRs.  The trend is also to look for double and triple hitters, and in Bush, that is a good way to go.

Of course, you are hearing from someone who makes the playoffs a fair amount, but who has never gotten past the first round.

3/3/2013 6:56 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by golpista on 3/3/2013 6:56:00 AM (view original):
C-

First it seems that you are way short of at bats.  Who will be your regulat f\irst baseman (I could not find 1911 Kitty Bransfield)?  This line-up does not meet the minimum numbers for AB.  4 man and 2 man rotations are in the decline now, with most people opting for 3 men.  08 Addie Joss is the ultimate pitching machine now and it is extremely difficult to win in open leagues without him.  13 Cravath is a steal - he always out produces his RL stats for me.  I wouldn't waste the money on 33 Ruth, as you are overpaying for his HRs.  The trend is also to look for double and triple hitters, and in Bush, that is a good way to go.

Of course, you are hearing from someone who makes the playoffs a fair amount, but who has never gotten past the first round.

He's actually planning to rotate his AAA players in the 1B slot... a common practice, but one that might leave him slightly under the minimums...

Team seems a bit too balanced to work in an Open League, which plays more like a video game than traditional baseball.
3/3/2013 1:10 PM
I know this is blunt.  I hope it doesn't offend.

Line Up:
1) I'm not a big fan of Rickey and his B- range won't do you favors in center.  '92 Raines would be as good a lead lead-off hitter and a better CF for $2K more.  (C)
2) You have over 700PA of a guy with a .272/.307/.442 line.  Such a hitter should only bat 8th and there is no way you are using 737 PA in the 8 spot (D)
3) If I have to pick a Gavvy, this would be the one. (A)
4) Meh.  I am not a fan of homeruns in the sim.  Ruth is a good value though. (C)
5) Boggs is a good value.  Nice pick. (A)
6) There are many great values at catcher.  '69 McCaver isn't one of them. (D)
7) At short a high FP with decent range should be a priority.  (D)
8) So you are using your AAA a 1B.  Good luck. (C)
LIne-up grade = C

Bench:
Unless you need PAs to reach 4800, every OL bench should contain Wilson Delgado (if you can spare $50K), Howie Clark and Clyde Sukforth.  If you need PAs take Hughie Jennings, Ted Kazinski, or Rich Reese.  Gomez isn't a bad pick.  Unfrotunately this one is graded Pass Fail.  You get a F here.

Rotation:
Clemens walks to many for the price to be a great value (D)

Adonis also walks to many, but you are moving in the right direction (C)
Johnson like Clemens isn’t a value (D)
Schmidt isn’t a great value, but at least his walks won’t get out of control (C)
Rotation grade C-
Bullpen:
Meek, Jackson, Aloma and Hernandez all walk too many batters. There are better values out there. (C)
Soriano is awesome, but a horrible value (C)
Bullpen grade = C

Micellaneous:
I don't see a consistent theme on this team.  They aren't suited a particular stadium that I can tell.  You didn't fish out values or build pitching-fielding synergies.  You did however draft 9 200K scrubs that you can swap out for your AAA and a WW pick-up.  Unfortunely you drafted too few IP and PA to maximize the value of your pick-up.
Synergy grade = D

Overall grade C-
3/3/2013 5:59 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 3/3/2013 5:59:00 PM (view original):
I know this is blunt.  I hope it doesn't offend.

Line Up:
1) I'm not a big fan of Rickey and his B- range won't do you favors in center.  '92 Raines would be as good a lead lead-off hitter and a better CF for $2K more.  (C)
2) You have over 700PA of a guy with a .272/.307/.442 line.  Such a hitter should only bat 8th and there is no way you are using 737 PA in the 8 spot (D)
3) If I have to pick a Gavvy, this would be the one. (A)
4) Meh.  I am not a fan of homeruns in the sim.  Ruth is a good value though. (C)
5) Boggs is a good value.  Nice pick. (A)
6) There are many great values at catcher.  '69 McCaver isn't one of them. (D)
7) At short a high FP with decent range should be a priority.  (D)
8) So you are using your AAA a 1B.  Good luck. (C)
LIne-up grade = C

Bench:
Unless you need PAs to reach 4800, every OL bench should contain Wilson Delgado (if you can spare $50K), Howie Clark and Clyde Sukforth.  If you need PAs take Hughie Jennings, Ted Kazinski, or Rich Reese.  Gomez isn't a bad pick.  Unfrotunately this one is graded Pass Fail.  You get a F here.

Rotation:
Clemens walks to many for the price to be a great value (D)

Adonis also walks to many, but you are moving in the right direction (C)
Johnson like Clemens isn’t a value (D)
Schmidt isn’t a great value, but at least his walks won’t get out of control (C)
Rotation grade C-
Bullpen:
Meek, Jackson, Aloma and Hernandez all walk too many batters. There are better values out there. (C)
Soriano is awesome, but a horrible value (C)
Bullpen grade = C

Micellaneous:
I don't see a consistent theme on this team.  They aren't suited a particular stadium that I can tell.  You didn't fish out values or build pitching-fielding synergies.  You did however draft 9 200K scrubs that you can swap out for your AAA and a WW pick-up.  Unfortunely you drafted too few IP and PA to maximize the value of your pick-up.
Synergy grade = D

Overall grade C-
No offense taken.  :)  I used to play enough to know the value-picks and how to "game" the system.  Hopefully I don't spend enough time and money here in the future to learnt these things again....  If I can play .500 ball, I will be happy.   
3/3/2013 6:15 PM
My advice to you would be to pick a theme or strategy or stadium first and then build your team.

C- look for bargain out of position players with at least an A- arm.
1B- You could go with AAA but with the 4800 PA minimum I do not think this is wise.  1B is the best place to find cheap offense.
2B- Look for A- fielding or higher with at least close to average (C-) range.  If you are using modern pitchers you can drop your fielding requirements to around B.
3B- Look for a good FP and don't sweat range.  This is one of the spots where A/D- types can be good bargains. 
SS- Look for A or higher fielder with at least C- range.  Think about conserving PAs here for an #8 hitter.
LF/RF- Besides 1B, these are the best places to hide good offensive players.  At minimum, I would try to make sure one COFs has better than a D- range
CF- Look for at least a B/B.  If you are using modern pitching you could get away with a C/B.

Bench Scrubs- Like I wrote above, look for good pinch hitters, PA fillers and finally defensive subs on positions you drafted short.

Pitchers- Look for BB/9# of less than 2.3 and and HR/9# of less than .50.

Pitcher Scrubs- Look for high IP/9 guys with walk rates that aren't out of control.  At least these guys will chew through some innings for you.  

3/4/2013 1:33 AM
nice breakdown zube!
3/4/2013 9:24 AM
RATE MY YOUTH
3/4/2013 9:34 AM
Welcome back...

At least for a while
3/4/2013 10:04 AM
Rickey cost me a TOC (error top of the ninth, CS in bottom of ninth for last out) so for that reason I give you a C-.

Rating boogerlips youth - F (lots of lotion and tissues involved)

3/4/2013 11:38 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 3/4/2013 9:34:00 AM (view original):
RATE MY YOUTH
You stole your mom's youth and then spent it on fake baseball.  Grade = D+
3/4/2013 3:27 PM
RATE MY TEAM?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.