Work Ethic (WE) chart Topic

Is there a chart or thread detailing improvement probability based on WE numbers?

Example

WE
1-25 = 4-6 points of potential improvement
25-50 = 6-10 [points "     "
50-75 = 10-15 points "    "
ect....

I can't seem to locate one.
3/3/2013 9:39 AM
Work ethic isn't the determining factor in rating growth, potential is. There is a lot of information around the forums about how many points each potential level equates to so I won't get into that specifically. Work ethic only helps to determine how quickly a rating increases, along with practice time and game minutes.
3/3/2013 10:16 AM
That's what I meant. Is there a general sense of where the cut offs are for slow rating increase / moderate / and high? that's the type of chart or feedback I'm looking for.

ex. 1-25 (slow) 25-50 (moderate) ect...
3/3/2013 11:01 AM (edited)
there's so many factors involved that WE can't be isolated into a solo chart. are you talking about in-season or off-season growth?
3/3/2013 11:13 AM

I'm not aware of any charts for that. What theploww is saying is accurate. The rate of improvement in each category is determined by a combination of WE, practice time, game minutes / starts and potential. So to purely look at things from a WE standpoint would not be accurate.

To give you an extreme example, you could have a guy with a WE of 25, high-high potential in all categories, start him every game and he might gain 70+ points in a year, compared to a guy with a WE of 75, low potential in every category, and comes off the bench for 5 minutes per game who might gain a total of 10 points on the year. 

WIth that said, players with a WE of less than 15 will probably not improve much over their career, WE of 15- 25 will improve over their career but likely fall far short of reaching their full potential in 4 years. Players with a WE between 25-40 have a chance of reaching their full potential, but usually require a redshirt year and/or early starts (as a freshman or sophomore). Players with a WE of > 40 will often get to their max potential, with players in the 40-55 range probably reaching it just by the end of their senior year, while players with a WE > 75 might reach their full potential by their junior year. Again though, everything is a function of their initial potential and playing time. 

3/3/2013 11:24 AM
So below 20 is going to be slow to nil on improvement potential due to a low WE. Above 20 up to 50? will be moderate improvement speed. 50+ would be considered healthy improvement speeds?
3/3/2013 1:57 PM
you cant generalize, except to say that there is not much improvement if WE is below say 15

there also we be not much improvement if a player does not have much potential to improve

improvement is driven by primarily by work ethic and potential

I believe that it is also the case that very high or very low ratings (like below 15 and above 85) improve slower than mid range ratings - without regard to WE or potential
3/3/2013 2:04 PM
Thanks for the input all!
3/3/2013 2:08 PM
i usually set my minimum recruiting WE to 33-36.  If I still can't find a reasonable recruit, i'll dip to maybe 29.  20 and under is completely off limits
3/3/2013 6:39 PM
my personal low is 25... usually hoping that player will accept a redshirt too...

no doubt, IMO under 20 is waste of time in almost all cases... especially if you are planning on having the player for 4 season.  I could see a juco with the right ratings perhaps be worth a flyer to fill a need for a season or two.

3/3/2013 8:13 PM
I also try to stick with players 30 and over, but will make exceptions - so I don't set a WE minimum on the recruiting search screen.

Also, it depends on your roster situation.  I took a player with 29 WE with Drake this season because he has good potential in key areas, but also because I knew I could start him right away.  If you can start a player and give him meaningful minutes as a freshman, you can improve his 20-something WE enough so that the off-season drops won't hurt too badly.
3/4/2013 2:04 PM
the caveat as always is if the player has such good cores that he can play immediately, even abominable WE might not keep me from signing him, knowing full well that in the best case he is likely to lose any advancements made during the season over the summer break. That said, I typically cap my searches at 20 WE.
3/4/2013 2:42 PM
Work Ethic (WE) chart Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.