Arb resulting in increasing demands? Topic

In the latest WIS User interview hopkinsheel makes the following statement:

"It is very rare for me to sign a guy long term until his 3rd season of arbitration, especially if his patience is on the lower end. I also typically will not try to save a few dollars by offering less than the player is demanding and risk them demanding a much larger sum the following season".

Bold added by me, as this is the statement I question.

Do most owners believe this is a legit worry?

It is something I never paid much attention to, but this off season I had a 4th year guy ask for 7M when I was expecting his demands to be more like 4-5M. Now after reading the above quote I wonder if last year's arb case played a role. I really can't remember if I even low-balled the guy, but since his demands greatly surprised me, I very well may have and this is the result.

Just never heard this before and wondered what the rest of you thought.

3/6/2013 8:50 AM
I've not noticed it but I win so few arb cases that I probably wouldn't.  

I've never had a guy demand a great deal more for a LT than I was expecting either.
3/6/2013 8:57 AM
+1 MikeT23, and I win about half my arb cases, maybe slightly more.
3/6/2013 4:01 PM
I've never noticed demands changing, but I also let guys I want to sign long term win, anyway, so I'd likely have cut anyone I've lowballed without processing anything about their demands.
3/6/2013 4:11 PM
Arb resulting in increasing demands? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.