SP: to Re-Sign or Not to Re-Sign Topic

I'm on the fence about re-signing this guy...  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Luis Cortez
He's asking $4.4mil to re-sign for one year, but I'm wondering if that $$ would be better utilized elsewhere.  I'm torn because he has 93 control, but his other ratings aren't eye-catchers and he'll be 32 y/o next season, so I'm expecting a few declining ratings will start to appear soon.   What do you guys think?
3/6/2013 12:47 PM (edited)
Look at ratings regression, I'd expect him to lose a point or two off of stamina, but that's about it.  The skill ratings won't decline over the offseason, and you have two seasons worth of performance in Pawtucket to know what to expect from him (league average stats for around 170 IPs of work).

Only you can decide if 170-175 IPs of league average is worth $4.4m in your world.

As an alternative, you can wait until you roll and see exactly what kind of decline you might get and see if his demands change.  Of course, you run the risk of him not wanting to resign and go FA.
3/6/2013 12:57 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/6/2013 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Look at ratings regression, I'd expect him to lose a point or two off of stamina, but that's about it.  The skill ratings won't decline over the offseason, and you have two seasons worth of performance in Pawtucket to know what to expect from him (league average stats for around 170 IPs of work).

Only you can decide if 170-175 IPs of league average is worth $4.4m in your world.

As an alternative, you can wait until you roll and see exactly what kind of decline you might get and see if his demands change.  Of course, you run the risk of him not wanting to resign and go FA.
Even if he decides to test FA after rollover, I don't think too many teams would be jumping at the chance to sign him for $4.4 million. But that's all dependent on your individual world, like tec said, maybe there is a dearth of starting pitching in your world.
3/6/2013 2:25 PM
I agree lccooler.  His asking price just doesn't sit well given his ratings and average numbers in pitcher friendly home parks.  I think I could get equal production from a less expensive guy and use that $4.4m elsewhere.  It would be a no-brainer to let him walk if he netted a Type-B draft pick, but I don't see that happening.
3/6/2013 5:23 PM
He's not going to get a Type B designation.
3/6/2013 5:28 PM
If it were me, I'd let him walk, let a couple cycles go through, and if his demands start to decrease to a more acceptable amount, then sign him. I would be surprised if anyone signs him for more than say $2.5 million or so.
3/6/2013 8:18 PM
Tec where do you conclude the  type a or b?
3/6/2013 10:04 PM
Posted by mezirah on 3/6/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
You won't be able to tell Type A or B until after rollover. It'll show up on the contract negotiation screen.
3/6/2013 10:46 PM
Yes-- but type A/B status is based on OVR and position, and I've never seen a 68 OVR pitcher, or an OVR anywhere near that, get to type B.
3/6/2013 11:30 PM
Posted by mezirah on 3/6/2013 10:04:00 PM (view original):
What dedel said.
3/7/2013 6:02 AM
In just about every World I've played in a guy like Cortez would be considered slightly above replacement level.  In other words, probably a back-end starter/emergency starter on a good pitching staff.  Don't get too hung up on his good control rating.  I would focus on his expected productivity.  In most worlds it's not too hard to find a pitcher who can produce .264 OAV, 1.30 WHIP, and 175 IP.  If I were in your situation and I didn't have a guy in AAA of similar value that I could promote, I would probably wait until the very end of free agency and resign Cortez or another pitcher of similar value.  I would generally not spend more than $1.5 million on him (that might vary slightly depending on world and free agent class).  If you are paying $4.4 million the odds are you over-paying and possibly over-paying by quite a lot.  Of course, as everyone else has said, it depends on your world.
3/7/2013 4:49 PM
SP: to Re-Sign or Not to Re-Sign Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.