List (s) about which I am skeptical part 2 Topic

If you google "greatest upsets in sports" there is no shortage of lists, though most have most of the same entries, which is okay. But there are some perplexing things about these lists: 

See the first one listed below. I would rank the Red Sox 2004 comeback win vs. the Yankees much higher than 31, though it ranks higher as a "comeback" than an upset technically. But to list James Braddock over Max Baer at number 36 and the Miracle Mets no higher than number 18 seems outright bizarre. 

But there is at least one major upset that is not even on any of the lists I found, and which seems totally forgetten: the 1914 Boston Braves four game sweep - the first sweep in World Series history, over Connie Mack's Philadelphia Athletics, with their $100,000 infield. This was a last to first story. Also neither the Braves or the Twins getting winning the 1991 pennant counts ? Bobby Thompson's home run ? (Mazeroski's is there). No Arnold Palmer ?  New York Knicks 1969-70 over the Lakers with West, Baylor and Chamberlain and an injured Willis Reed coming off the bench in game 7 to hold down the greatest scorer ever up to that point ? 

Anyway, here are two typical entries. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1036181-the-50-biggest-upsets-in-sports-history/page/16

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/lists/Biggest_upsets_in_sports_history#tab=photo-title=Bring+out+the+underdogs&photo=21736177

3/8/2013 11:20 AM
#13... Um, BR doesn't remember that the Patriots cheated?
3/8/2013 11:06 PM
The real travesty is that they missed Ireland's upset win over England at the 2011 World Cup. Ireland being a decidedly second-tier team that play infrequently and almost never against strong opponents, England being one of the strongest teams in the world and legitiamately aiming to win the competition. Moreover, they won with the largest successful run chase in world cup history. Based on those lists linked it sounds somewhat similar in idea to the Netherlands beating the Dominican Republic that appears.
3/9/2013 11:20 PM
If you listen to ESPN, or read anything they publish, you should quickly come to the realization that accuracy in reporting is very low on their priority list. I think they intentionally omit things just to illicit responses. They get paid for the web site hits people use to argue for their own choices. The best thing to do with sports media these days is turn it off. No one cares about the truth anymore, it is simply about getting clicks and ratings.
3/10/2013 11:38 AM
List (s) about which I am skeptical part 2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.