Indivdual Usage Penalty Topic

Given that we may see new programmers soon I thought that in the spirit of a 'a new hope' I might call out is that I think the way the individual usage penalty works is BS - in as much as you can field sufficient usage but not control shot distro - such that there are games where a lower usage guy takes more shots than a higher usage guy and suffers that penalty - this happens often - a tier 1 or 2 guy  will get significantly less attempts than a tier 3 or 4 guy - often ( & w/o double teaming even in play in which case there should be an equal and opposite 'that guy is left open' bonus to offset anyway)

is that my fault? I drafted the right distro but your sim decided otherwise

it's just the RANDOM doing its magic

AND

that penalty is one of the few situations where in-game adjustment does occur EVERY GAME 

long story but in-game adjustment is a thing done, and so could be done in other cases where it would alleviate the RANDOM (like in rebounding where at the end of the game a team with strong rebounding advantage could start dominating the boards after giving up the advantage early )

but admin claims it is too difficult to program in game adjustments except in those cases where it already is doing so...  ahem) so the only time it works is basically either when you f-d up your draft or when the sim does its RANDOM and f-s you
3/11/2013 10:30 PM (edited)
I have stated many times that I think 99% of complaints about the current SIM can be (at least somewhat) corrected by lessening the variable.  Number of rebounds, number of shots, shooting % (especially 3's), TOs, PFs, etc. all fluctuate far too much and lead to the stated problems.  Just reduced the variable, and most of these problems are instantly made lesser.  One simple fix addresses numerous complaints.  I know that's far too logical for WIS to do, but hopefully a new programmer won't know that logic isn't allowed here.
3/12/2013 12:30 PM
Outliers determine too many outcomes, I agree.
The double usage penalty is redundant and unfair, I agree.
Ridiculous substitution logic fuels both of these points' fires.

3/12/2013 7:57 PM
remember this?  lol
10/8/2013 10:17 PM
the 'new programmers' are still just getting their feet wet
10/9/2013 2:09 AM
Posted by felonius on 10/9/2013 2:09:00 AM (view original):
the 'new programmers' are still just getting their feet wet
Their team's official inspirational quote:

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself." - Anna Quindlen
10/9/2013 2:27 PM
Do actually think simBB will get anything..it won't. As long as admin thinks competition is tearing down the strong to prop up the weak it doesn't matter anyway. There are penalties for every stat, the normalization pins the bottom and pulls down the top. What you call 'random' is not, it's a contrived design intended to interfere with fair and level competition. Smell the coffee guy's..competition here is a joke.
10/9/2013 2:53 PM
check out the date stamps and consider yourself missing the point of ash's bump (it's an inside joke)

and ps the very randomness you claim does not exist (despite copious examples to the contrary) is actually the equalizer
10/9/2013 6:51 PM (edited)
bi·as
'bi?s/
noun
noun: bias; plural noun: biases
  1. 1.
    prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
    synonyms: prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favoritism, unfairness, one-sidedness;
10/11/2013 4:29 PM
The 'randomness' is wrt which and how much bias to apply in any given game. The bias in this system, as I've said before, is to drive everything toward the lowest common denominator, creating artificial parity...and mediocrity.
10/11/2013 4:36 PM

Bias of an estimator

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about bias of statistical estimators. For other uses in statistics, see Bias (statistics).

In statistics, the bias (or bias function) of an estimator is the difference between this estimator's expected value and the true value of the parameter being estimated. An estimator or decision rule with zero bias is called unbiased. Otherwise the estimator is said to be biased.

ever wonder why your team does a poor job of estimating your drafted advance#'s?

10/11/2013 4:44 PM
Is there a bit too much randomness and could the sim be improved?  Yes.  But the sim doesn't funnel everything towards parity and mediocrity.  If ur teams are usually mediocre, that's ur fault.
10/11/2013 7:13 PM
gentlemen, seble is literally on record on this subject so stop wasting your finger muscles typing
10/11/2013 7:39 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 10/11/2013 4:36:00 PM (view original):
The 'randomness' is wrt which and how much bias to apply in any given game. The bias in this system, as I've said before, is to drive everything toward the lowest common denominator, creating artificial parity...and mediocrity.
to wit, seble is on record stating that the randomness creates opportunities for newbs and less sophisticated owners to win any given game - in other words the fact that anything could happen gives everyone a chance
10/11/2013 7:43 PM
Could someone explain the 'usage penalty' and the different 'tiers' you speak of?
7/20/2014 2:12 PM
12 Next ▸
Indivdual Usage Penalty Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.