Point Spread Question Topic

I'm a first year HD player and have a question on the point spreads.

I was favored to win a game by 52 points! Which is just outrageous in any sport. However, I lost the game by 6... So, my question is how common is something like this? Once in a great while (CFB: Appalachian State beating Michigan) or something I should be expecting every year.

FYI: I didn't change my game plan in any way and I didn't have any injuries.

3/15/2013 2:19 PM
THose point spreads are way TOO high.  That said,  the games does do a pretty good job of determining favorites based on the rosters.  Without looking at the game, to me, a loss in that scenario would indicate either poor linep or poor game plan decisions.
3/15/2013 2:33 PM
At the beginning of the season, it does a great job determining point spreads based on rosters. But if you win a few close games and another team loses a few close games to comparable teams, you can suddenly end up as a 15-20 point favorite over a team just as good as you are. 

I've lost as a 30-point favorite before, but that's the worst it's been. Not sure if my game-plan was bad. It was the first pressing team I'd played all season, and I had a 28 average passing rating. Could get around it against man and zone teams, but it killed me against the press. 
3/15/2013 6:50 PM
There is an 80 pt spread in a game my team is playing tonight and the over/under is 150, which would mean the computer is predicting the score to be 115-35.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamMatchup/Default.aspx?sid=9316081
3/15/2013 10:56 PM (edited)
The point spreads are a joke, always have been a joke, and always will be a joke.
3/15/2013 11:40 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 3/15/2013 6:50:00 PM (view original):
At the beginning of the season, it does a great job determining point spreads based on rosters. But if you win a few close games and another team loses a few close games to comparable teams, you can suddenly end up as a 15-20 point favorite over a team just as good as you are. 

I've lost as a 30-point favorite before, but that's the worst it's been. Not sure if my game-plan was bad. It was the first pressing team I'd played all season, and I had a 28 average passing rating. Could get around it against man and zone teams, but it killed me against the press. 
Absolutely.  A couple of seasons ago, I was a 1 seed, ranked number 1 and playing a 9 seed in the NT title game.  I was a 3 point dog (as the 1 seed, mind you).  How can a 1 seed, ranked number 1, be an underdog to a 9 seed (for what it's worth, the 1 seed beat the 9 seed by 26 points)?  The spreads are a joke.

I once lost a game to a Sim team when I was a 62 point favorite (I'm sure Pinkeye will make an appearance here at some point.  Every time I mention that game he shows up and trolls the rest of the thread.  It's almost like he's got some kind of alarm set whenever I mention that game).  I also finished the season 33-2 and won the National Championship.  I'm halfway decent as a coach and a game planner I think, but you really can't gameplan for a mid-teens Per PF to hit 4 threes against you, or a single digit Per C to hit 2 more in the same game.  I don't think I gameplanned badly, nor do I think I had a bad lineup in place.  Sometimes those things just happen (not often, thank goodness, or I think everyone would quit if the game ended up being THAT random) and I think it's a little rude to call the OP out on his decisions without looking at his game first (not you Tarvolon).

As I posted earlier, the spreads are a joke, always have been, always will be.  The best thing to do is pay them no mind as they are absolutely worthless.
3/15/2013 11:50 PM
Point Spread Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.