D3, Season 65 Topic

GOTN recap

#2 Millsaps 66, #8 Colorado 47
The defense of second-ranked Millsaps struck again as brianxavier's crew held Colorado College to less than 37 percent shooting. Colorado connected on just 28 percent in the first half as Millsaps built a 35-21 halftime lead. Colorado scored 16 of the first 19 points of the second half to pull within 38-37, but from there the visitors took over and rolled down the stretch. John Teeter came off the bench for 16 points in 18 minutes of work to lead all scorers for Millsaps. Christopher Perry added 13 points in 15 minutes of court time. For Colorado, only Justin Waters reached double figures with 15. Millsaps owned a 29-21 edge on the glass. In the other game involving ranked teams last night, Northland scored a 71-66 win over Texas Lutheran.

Tonight's featured game: #11 Whittier vs. #14 SUNY Maritime
solly2225 has won his two previous encounters against windixies and Whittier and is looking to make it 3-for-3 tonight in the best of three Top 25 matches. Whittier hasn't allowed an opponent to score in the 60s yet this season and has yet to be held out of the 80s. Maritime, who opens in Vegas as a one-point favorite in this game despite being the lower ranked team, has won all of its contests by 17+ points to date. Both teams are taking a step up in competition from anything they've seen thus far. Other ranked games tonight include #23 Hardin-Simmons going to #12 Northalnd and #18 Emmanuel at #16 Arcadia in the first-ever meeting between the schools.
3/29/2013 11:42 AM
GOTN recap

#11 Whittier 88, #14 Maritime 79

Three turnovers in the final 78 seconds sealed Maritime’s fate in an 88-79 win for Whittier. It was windixies’s first victory over solly2225 as a head coach in Rupp and marks the fifth consecutive game Whittier has scored in the 80s this season. After grabbing a 41-37 lead at the half, Whittier used an 8-0 run early in the second half to send its lead into double figures. Maritime fought back, taking a lead with 6:16 remaining. The teams see-sawed down the stretch and Maritime trailed by only a point with 90 seconds to play. A bucket by Whittier, followed by the first of three stretch turnovers started the descent for Maritime. Dennis Columbus had 18 points to lead Whittier while Freddie Brown menaced Maritime with five steals. Whittier knocked down nearly 54 percent of its shots from the floor, including 7-for-11 from long range. In the night’s other ranked games, Emmanuel survived David Beason’s shot at the buzzer for a 60-57 win over Arcadia. Hardin-Simmons raced past Northland 90-71.

Tonight’s featured game: #21 Austin (4-1) at #1 Penn St. Altoona (5-0)

frankgrimes1 has held tight to the No. 1 ranking since grabbing it on Day 3 and has won all five of his first games on the road. All five opponents have been held to less than 60 points and nobody has played PSA to within single digits so far. Austin has also played all five on the road, but was stunned 78-52 by Elizabethtown in their only blemish of the year. Also on tap tonight #14 Eastbay heads to defending national champion #20 Greensboro. 

3/30/2013 11:23 AM

GOTN recap

#1 Penn St. Altoona 79, #21 Austin 65

Penn St. Altoona exerted control in the second half, transforming a 39-38 Austin lead at intermission into a nine-point advanatage. Once in the lead, Austin seemingly had no answer for PSA, which gradually worked the lead to as high as 17 points as it largely continued to pull away down the stretch. Thirteen second-half turnovers contributed heavily to Austin’s undoing. Eric Sherman had 18 points for PSA. In the night’s other ranked game, Eastbay bumped Greensboro 82-70, handing the defending national champs their second loss of the year. 

Tonight’s featured game: #1 Penn St. Altoona (6-0) at #2 Millsaps (6-0)

In what could be a preview of the national championship game, PSA takes its No. 1 ranking on the road to face No. 2 Millsaps. brianxavier and frankgrimes1 meet for the 18th time in this high octane showdown. Millsaps finally allowed a team to score more than 60 points, but they also raced for 123 points in that contest! Do I really need to say more about this game? It also happens to be the only meeting of ranked teams on tap tonight. 

3/31/2013 11:04 AM
GOTN recap

#2 Millsaps 68, #1 Penn St. Altoona 59
The No. 1 ranking changes hands after Millsaps uncorks an 18-2 run early in the second half to take control of the contest. PSA had a 28-24 lead, but Millsaps' hot streak flipped that to a 42-30 win advantage with just under 12 minutes to go. Altoona fought back to within four points, but Millsaps ended with a flurry of free throws — they got to the line 41 times in the game — to win. John Teeter with 16 points for Millsaps in the win.

Tonight's featured game: #20 Susquehanna at #10 CSU, Eastbay
Zeuspole and coachuk meet for the first time in one of four game featuring ranked opponents on tap for tonight. Two of those games involve Millsaps and Penn St. Altoona. Another involves #11 MacMurray, the hottest SimAI program in the land. In the chosen game, we have two traditional Rupp power programs, albeit one with a new head coach this season in coachuk, getting it on. Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend...the first set of RPI numbers should hit the board this evening.
4/1/2013 10:47 AM
Yeah, I broke my win record from last season, no big deal.
4/1/2013 4:07 PM
GOTN recap

#20 Susquehanna 70, #10 CSU Eastbay 56
George Chan scored 20 points and Joseph Carlton menaced Eastbay to the tune of five steals  as Susquehanna pulled the 70-56 upset to improve to 6-2 on the season. Eastbay trailed 36-27 at the half and never got closer than seven at any point in the second half. Zeuspole pushed his lead as high as 20 points and only a late 7-0 spurt by Eastbay made the margin more respectable. Michael Willett had 10 points for Eastbay, which slid to 6-2 with the loss.

Tonight's featured game: #7 Webster (8-0) at #13 Northland (7-1)
mschulte24 is off to an undefeated start at Webster and has won seven of its eight games by double digits. The lone exception was an 86-83 win over Elizabethtown (3-5). Included in that run of dominance was a 70-60 win over #19 Palm Beach Atlantic. Now they get raucous' Northland crew, which is playing for a crack at the top 10. Northland scored a huge victory over #7 Texas Lutheran, 71-66, only to suffer a letdown as #23 Hardin-Simmons knocked them off the next night by a 90-71 count. Northland has shown good versatility this season, winning with both offense and defense. Should be a good one. The only other top 25 game on tap tonight is #10 Wentworth at #25 S. Vermont.
4/2/2013 11:49 AM
Meanwhile, the 'evil empire' is back.... aheah of UAA for Conference RPI bragging rights in the early going.  Our streak of 1 -- will it end so soon?
4/2/2013 2:40 PM
University will get a boost tomorrow night when I get dismantled by Southwestern.
4/2/2013 3:06 PM
Ten programs head to conference play undefeated, including one SimAI program. Four are from the University conference. Two represent the GNE. and the Iowa, St. Louis, ODAC and New Jersey each have one. Hats off to these coaches for having good teams and/or smart scheduling!

Millsaps (brianxavier, SOS 4)
St. Joseph's (disasteruss, SOS 27)
Buena Vista (westcoast22, SOS 63)
Southwestern (ironman2011, SOS 119)
Ozarks (spike101, SOS 127)
Greenville (SimAI, SOS 149)
Trinity (bobmeyer, SOS 188)
Virginia Wesleyan (robbman21, SOS 268)
Suffolk (chichisteve, SOS 323)
Montclair St. (bigpapamatt, SOS 332)

At the opposite end of the spectrum, there are 13 teams searching for their first win of the year, which includes a pair of 0-9 sims trying tonight to avoid the 0-10 start. Six of these programs are human-coached, but as always we'll protect the identities of the guilty. The Heartland and Michigan each have two of the winless clubs.

My apologies for missing a day with the GOTN recap and stuff. I'll get that caught up as soon as I can. Spent most of yesterday in offices and on telephones largely dealing with people I'd rather not see or talk to under normal circumstances (a lawyer, a clerk, an auto body shop, my insurance adjustor…you get the picture…)
4/4/2013 10:50 AM
Yes, I'm alive, but as you can obviously tell, that's pretty much the only thing I can say with certainty.

Here's the midseason breakdown of the projection report by conferences right now. The first number is schools that are in NT position, currently showing 1-64 on the projection report. The second number is the PIT schools in each league (65-96). Unless, of course, I messed up, in which case something wont' add up. As you can see, there are two conferences that are way down (in the CUNY's case, I think that's been true darn near every season I've done this...). The ASC, GNE, Skyline, University and USA South currently project to be more than 40 percent of the national tournament field among themselves. (27 of 64 slots)

ASC -- 4/0
Capital -- 1/2
Centennial -- 2/1
CUNY -- 0/0 (best team currently 121)
CCIW -- 2/0
Coast -- 2/0
Commonwealth -- 2/5
Empire -- 1/1
Freedom -- 1/1
GNE -- 7/1
Heartland -- 1/1
Iowa -- 1/1
Little East -- 0/1
Michigan -- 2/3
Midwest -- 0/1
Minnesota -- 1/0
NESCAC -- 2/0
New Jersey -- 0/2
N. Atlantic -- 0/0 (best team currently 104)
NCAC -- 3/1
Northwest -- 3/1
Ohio -- 2/0
ODAC -- 2/0
Penn -- 1/1
Skyline -- 5/0
So. Cal -- 3/2
St. Louis -- 3/1
SUNY -- 2/0
University -- 7/1
Upstate -- 0/1
USA South -- 4/1
Wisconsin -- 0/3

4/9/2013 12:42 PM
So at this point in the season, what would be considered good growth from a freshman that gets regular playing time?
4/10/2013 9:13 PM
Not sure if it would be considered "good" by the masses but the freshman I have who has started 11 of 16 so far has gained 36 points, which would put him on par for around 70 points of growth by the end of the CT. Any time I can get 70+, I consider that a good year, so your kid that's up 38 this season already is doing well in my book.
4/11/2013 11:57 AM
I concur with rednu.  The growth is affected by work ethic in addition to playing time and each player's potential (and perhaps even GPA, someone once suggested to me), but a frosh with 30-35 points growth at this point is at least doing pretty good to good; any players with more than 40 points of improvement near the halfway point of the season are doing very well.
4/12/2013 5:26 PM
He just eclipsed 40 points of growth today, and I have another who just broke 30 and another at 28 for my freshman.  So I'm hoping those 3 will continue to grow more.  (As a side note, the one who has grown 28  points has averaged less than 8 minutes a game)
4/13/2013 3:45 AM
combine great WE with great potentials to hit lightning in a barrel.  johnson & wales has a FR up 79 points on the season already!
4/16/2013 1:13 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
D3, Season 65 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.