25 DEF in a press Topic

Would picking up a guard who will probably top out at 25-30 DEF in a press really kill me? His speed should be above 80, PER around 75, BH around 80, P around 75.
3/19/2013 2:37 PM
Assuming we're talking the D3 Martin Luther team in Wooden, you can absorb ONE poor defender in the press. He'll be a foul magnet some games, especially until the press IQ gets up there, but with that speed, he'll still generate steals (assuming his athleticism is anything to speak of). I just graduated a guy on one of my teams who was a low 30s ath/92 spd with a 27 Def that finished his career as one of the school's top career steals folk. I've also had a team that I picked up who had a low 30/90 Ath/Spd split and a defense in the high teens who also finished as one of the top steals folks at the school by the time I was done with him.

Since that guy's other numbers that you provide look to be very solid for D3, provided you can surround him with four above-average defenders, I'd say go for it.

3/19/2013 3:19 PM
Rednu is right on. You can do it, but you can only do ONE guy like that. You do more than one, you've turned into a team with one bad defender to a bad defensive team. He'll be a hack machine too, so he better bring other skills.  Off the bench, he'll probably destroy other teams though.
3/19/2013 4:12 PM
notwithstanding what anyone above said, you can hide multiple bad defenders in any defense...just don't have more than one on the same side of the court at any given time. (i.e., it shouldn't matter if you have a bad defending C and PG on the court at the same time. they will rarely be covering the same person - you can also sub a bad defender with a bad defender)

all of that being said, i had d2 teams with avg 60+ 50+ 60+ ath spd def playing the press and the players who enjoyed 70+ 70+ 70+ were as foul prone as those whose ratings were not as impressive. 

3/20/2013 12:29 PM
25 DEF in a press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.