What kind of players should I look for in the flex Topic

3/20/2013 6:58 AM
I will like seeing these answers.  I have run it forever at UW Oshkosh in Phelan.  I have been slightly above average for 25 years or so.  I don't think speed is of huge importance.  Other than that I haven't really found a "model" to try and recruit.
3/20/2013 8:14 AM
Now if you go by real world attributes that would make a person good at flex i would think that speed, perimeter, passing and bh would be pretty important

basically a flex offense is screening and cutting which you'd think quick, athletic types would be able to create separation from the defender and you'd want to have perimeter to hit the jumper when open (or bh/lp to drive to the hoop)

that being said.. you need probably 2 studs with high spd/per and set their distro high and then your role players you might want to value passing pretty high so they can get the ball to the open shooter..

so would it look like this in order of preference? (im guessing here)
scorers - spd, per, ath, bh, p
role players - ath, bh, p, spd, per (or lp)

thats my guess anyway.. i have 4 teams and don't run a flex on any of them.. be a good topic though if we can get some of the good coaches input..
i always try to put values on my stats when i look at players which may not be the best thing.. when i look at a lets say a PG and i make my percentages = 100%.  i may say that ath=15,spd=20,def=10, per=10 ,bh=25,pass=20 (i just made those up on the fly and when i do this, i tweak them depending on off/def)

anyway, the whole point to me even bringing that up is i've been trying to come up with "values" for all schemes (flex, triangle, motion, fcp, m2m, zone, etc) to try and speed up my recruiting efforts and hopefully results...

3/20/2013 10:50 AM
I usually run a motion but I just got this team and dont want to go thjrough a couple seasons changing the offense.
3/20/2013 12:11 PM
any flexsperts out there? would love to know the answer to this too. RL in most cases doesn't apply in HD.
3/20/2013 4:21 PM
I dont think there is a meaningful, systematic difference in required skills between motion and flex.  Much more important to get the best players you can get.

Some folks may have theories and some folks may have studied in enough detail to say that some skill matters a bit more in one and a bit less in the other - but, any such conclusions should only be pursued at the margin when deciding between two otherwise comparable guys.  No skill is useful in one and useless in the other - not even close to that

So, get the best players you can get, train them up, send them out to play
3/20/2013 5:04 PM

So should your PG be a scorer or distributor?

3/20/2013 9:35 PM
What kind of players should I look for in the flex Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.