Here is a example.

Team 1 offers Joe Smith
Season 1- $5 mil
Season 2-$5 mil with mutual option.

Team 2 offers Joe Smith
Season 1-$8 mil

Which contract would the player consider the top offer?  Just trying to figure out how players look at options in their contract.

3/24/2013 4:55 PM
Team 1. 

The player looks at total overall money. Options/no trade clauses, are extra to determine ties.
3/24/2013 4:57 PM
Posted by lccooler on 3/24/2013 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Team 1. 

The player looks at total overall money. Options/no trade clauses, are extra to determine ties.
Not exactly true.  Team options are a significant negative, in my experience, in contract negotiations; I've never even tried to offer a player option, so I don't know about that.  Mutual options seem to be a slight negative, but it's very slight; team 1 would win in the case presented.
3/24/2013 7:25 PM
IIRC, from doing in season extensions w/ my own players.  If a guy is looking for 5 mil a season over 2 years and you offer 5 mil a season over 2 years w/ the 2nd season being a team option, he'll decline.  If you offer a similar contract, w/ the only difference being year 2 is a mutual option, the player will accept.
3/25/2013 5:06 PM
Just went through FA and asked an owner about options; team option the player will only look at the amount of money he'd make if the option was declined; mutual/player option he looks at the full amount
3/25/2013 5:40 PM
Posted by dedelman on 3/24/2013 7:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by lccooler on 3/24/2013 4:57:00 PM (view original):
Team 1. 

Not exactly true.  Team options are a significant negative, in my experience, in contract negotiations; I've never even tried to offer a player option, so I don't know about that.  Mutual options seem to be a slight negative, but it's very slight; team 1 would win in the case presented.
I've always considered mutual options to be 100% neutral.  I've never had an issue in offering a FA the exact years and total salary he was demanding, but adding a mutual option to the final season of the contract.
3/25/2013 7:02 PM
Yes, I agree with tecwrg. Completely neutral from what I've seen. I always stick a mutual option on the end, and have not noticed any negative consequences.
3/25/2013 7:32 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.