Anti-Tanking Strategies Topic

In HBD the biggest ongoing issue is tanking. It seemed to be more of a minor issue in progs if I remember correctly. What are some ways that progs battle this?

In the 1 prog I ever played in, we randomized the bottom 8 (teams that made the playoffs) and randomized the bottom 16 (teams that didn't make the playoffs).

3/25/2013 12:11 PM
Best defense against it is setting draft order by keepers' salary (either top players or all keepers), so W-L record doesn't affect the draft. Next best is a lottery big enough to take away the incentive to tank. Also helpful is a league with good owners who would notice tanking and call someone on it. Wins floors force teams to draft a reasonable amount if IP/AB, but an owner who wants a top draft pick can reach the wins floor and then tank.
3/25/2013 12:58 PM
Most the leagues I'm involved with use a formula based on a teams salary, league, and W-L record and reward those who outperform their expectations by the largest margin. If you're interested, there's an entire forum dedicated to improving it that has all of the breakdowns on how it works and where it falls short and I can get you access to it. 
3/25/2013 11:41 PM

For any progressive league I am considering, I ask one simple question: based on how this league allocates draft picks, is it ever advantageous for an owner to lose?  If the answer is yes, then I won't join that league.  Period.  This eliminates for me any league with reverse order of finish draft orders, including ones which use win floors and weighted lotteries.  (DIsclaimer - I am in 1 league that does things this way...have been in it since its inception and have a lot of respect for the commissioner...but it is the first league I will drop if circumstances ever require me to play in fewer progs.)

The leagues I play in fall into 3 categories:
-- Completely random draft ordering (like the NWP)
-- "Simple" salary-based win formulas (like the ones in gonoles777's league)
-- "Complex" salary-based win formulas (like the ones just4me references)

None of these are perfect, but in every single one of these leagues you are rewarded - or at minimum not penalized - for playing your team to the best of your ability.

3/26/2013 12:11 AM
Thanks for the responses. Salary based formulas wouldn't work in HBD. Are there any other ideas out there other than random ordering? Are owners happy with random ordering?
3/26/2013 9:20 AM
Anti-Tanking Strategies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.