lateral move vs. step up Topic

I just finished a 13-2 season with Ball State winning the conference championship and losing in the Gator Bowl in Yost. I've been waiting for Oregon to open up so I could take them over and start to rebuild them. They finally opened up, and I was surprised to see that it said it was a lateral move, even though 2 years ago when I took the job at Ball State it said I was qualified for that job but not the Oregon job. To make things weirder, while it said lateral move for Oregon who went 6-7 last year, it said qualified (meaning step up) for Illinois who went 5-8 last year. How is it that Illinois is a step up but Oregon is a lateral move when they are both from a BCS conference and Oregon had a better record the previous year and Oregon is a higher profile team in real life?
3/25/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by luvableloser on 3/25/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
I just finished a 13-2 season with Ball State winning the conference championship and losing in the Gator Bowl in Yost. I've been waiting for Oregon to open up so I could take them over and start to rebuild them. They finally opened up, and I was surprised to see that it said it was a lateral move, even though 2 years ago when I took the job at Ball State it said I was qualified for that job but not the Oregon job. To make things weirder, while it said lateral move for Oregon who went 6-7 last year, it said qualified (meaning step up) for Illinois who went 5-8 last year. How is it that Illinois is a step up but Oregon is a lateral move when they are both from a BCS conference and Oregon had a better record the previous year and Oregon is a higher profile team in real life?
Going from one D1A school to another is a lateral move, regardless whether you're at a mid-major, BCS, or elite.  You weren't qualified before because you didn't have the experience/prestige the school was looking for in order for you to get the job. Now that you've won a CC and made a level 4 bowl, your prestige as a coach has increased, and jobs that you weren't previously qualified for, are now available to you. If you had stayed at Ball State and had won several CCs, you would have been qualified for an elite.
3/25/2013 10:50 PM
Posted by mgm0461 on 3/25/2013 10:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by luvableloser on 3/25/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
Going from one D1A school to another is a lateral move, regardless whether you're at a mid-major, BCS, or elite.  You weren't qualified before because you didn't have the experience/prestige the school was looking for in order for you to get the job. Now that you've won a CC and made a level 4 bowl, your prestige as a coach has increased, and jobs that you weren't previously qualified for, are now available to you. If you had stayed at Ball State and had won several CCs, you would have been qualified for an elite.
Yes qualified for an elite with little to no chance of landing one from the MAC.Your best bet would be to get a real good BCS team when one opens, win a couple CC's along with top 15 finishes. That would give you a realistic chance at an elite.
3/26/2013 1:26 PM
lateral move vs. step up Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.