DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

I would like the first sentence of your next post to answer the "How ******* stupid are you?" question and then you can go on to whatever long-winded point you think you have.

6/20/2013 4:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Did you even read the thread BEFORE you posted?

BL was claiming 11 states legalized gay marriage.  I pointed out that the Feds don't recognize it.   That sometimes states do dumb ****(like secede).   And the Feds "correct" the problem.  

How ******* stupid are you?  
Yikes. Again...a basic government class would do you some good.

The states have the power to regulate marriage, not the feds. The feds can't "correct" this, which is why DOMA is going to be tossed next week.

In the 1800's the states didn't have any legal basis for secession (like they do regarding their marriage laws) so they had to go to war to attempt it. Had it been legal, they would have done it without war.

and, LOL again. Secession isn't legal:

the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to unilaterally secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".
6/20/2013 4:20 PM

BL was claiming 11 states legalized gay marriage.  I pointed out that the Feds don't recognize it.   That sometimes states do dumb ****(like secede).   And the Feds "correct" the problem.  

But the whole point is that after the SC calls DOMA unconstitutional, which seems extremely likely to happy, your argument will be void.  Nothing will be corrected at that point, and the Federal government will have to recognize any marriage recognized by any of the 50 states.  Including the 11 that allow SSM.  You're still being intentionally obtuse.  Or else you aren't as smart as I give you credit for.
6/20/2013 4:23 PM
Goddam, you're a ******* retard, aren't you?

DOMA has been around 17 years.    The wheels turn slowly I guess.

Seceding states did not care what the court or the Constitution permitted.     Do you think Abe could have served some papers and stopped the Civil War?  That's a yes/no question.   Try to answer it.
6/20/2013 4:23 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/20/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):

But the whole point is that after the SC calls DOMA unconstitutional, which seems extremely likely to happy, your argument will be void.  Nothing will be corrected at that point, and the Federal government will have to recognize any marriage recognized by any of the 50 states.  Including the 11 that allow SSM.  You're still being intentionally obtuse.  Or else you aren't as smart as I give you credit for.
You didn't answer either question I posed.

My argument, in this case, was that the Feds do not recognize SSM.  That states do things independently and, sometimes, it's a bad idea. 
6/20/2013 4:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):

Seceding states did not care what the court or the Constitution permitted.     Do you think Abe could have served some papers and stopped the Civil War?  That's a yes/no question.   Try to answer it.
No, that wouldn't have stopped it, but it was still illegal.

Murder is illegal and yet murders still happen.

So now answer my question: was it legal for the states to secede?
6/20/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 4:25:00 PM (view original):

No, that wouldn't have stopped it, but it was still illegal.

Murder is illegal and yet murders still happen.

So now answer my question: was it legal for the states to secede?
Do murderers care that murder is illegal?

Assuming you can answer that properly, do you think seceding states(you know, the ones LEAVING the union) concern themselves with the legality of seceding?
6/20/2013 4:28 PM
No, they don't but that doesn't make murder legal. You idiot.

Secession was illegal. States regulating marriage isn't.

Did you forget the point you were trying to make?

Was it legal to secede? Answer please. I answered your question.
6/20/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Are you looking up "Civil War" on Wikipedia now?  I hope so.   You'll look a lot less stupid with your "legal" bullshit if you do.
This is so awesome.
6/20/2013 4:42 PM

Again, seceding states not caring what the US government allowed is ONLY relevant if they're seceding.  Assuming nobody's going to secede as a result of any SSM decision, it's a totally irrelevant point.  Whatever the USSC says is the law, is the law, and the states and federal government will have to abide by that.
6/20/2013 4:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/20/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):

You didn't answer either question I posed.

My argument, in this case, was that the Feds do not recognize SSM.  That states do things independently and, sometimes, it's a bad idea. 
A) a lot less stupid than you

B) your argument will be moot in 2 weeks, tops
6/20/2013 4:45 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):

My point all along, you ******* moron, is that the seceding states did not care about legalities.

6/20/2013 5:14 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/20/2013 4:44:00 PM (view original):

Again, seceding states not caring what the US government allowed is ONLY relevant if they're seceding.  Assuming nobody's going to secede as a result of any SSM decision, it's a totally irrelevant point.  Whatever the USSC says is the law, is the law, and the states and federal government will have to abide by that.
We're talking about what happened in the 1860.   No one is seceding over SSM.
6/20/2013 5:15 PM
"I'm leaving your club."
"Sorry, the rules says you can't."
"So what?   I'm not part of your club anymore.  The rules don't apply."

The only place on Earth that this matters is the Mafia.  The seceding states in the 1860s didn't care what the US Constitution or President or courts said.
6/20/2013 5:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/20/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/20/2013 4:40:00 PM (view original):

My point all along, you ******* moron, is that the seceding states did not care about legalities.

Ok. It was still illegal for them to secede. States allowing gay marriage isn't illegal since that is a power granted to them in the constitution.

How is that at all relevant to DOMA?
6/20/2013 5:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...220|221|222|223|224...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.