DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

I don't think it's ridiculous for a reasonable human being to call a law unconstitutional.  Obviously it's still in force, but we can recognize its lack of constitutionality before the SC does so...
6/23/2013 4:17 AM
It's funny to see somebody refer to bad_luck as a "reasonable" human being.
6/23/2013 8:07 AM
It's funny how completely clueless you are. Are you a Miket23 alias?

A law can be in force and still be considered unconstitutional. Several federal judges have already found DOMA unconstitutional and if the Supreme Court hadn't taken the appeal, it would already be gone. How dumb are you going to feel when SCOTUS throws out DOMA?
6/23/2013 3:50 PM (edited)
If SCOTUS has not yet ruled DOMA unconstitutional, and it is still in force, then it is not unconstitutional.

That's like saying a guy who is hitting .297 going into the final game of the season is a .300 hitter because you think he's going to go 3-3 tomorrow.  Unless and until it happens, it ain't so.

I'm not going to feel dumb about anything, because I haven't been making any predictions about the outcome of either DOMA or Prop 8.  You have.
6/23/2013 2:33 PM
If congress passed a law making all organized religion illegal, you'd view that law as unconstitutional, right?
6/23/2013 3:50 PM
Only if SCOTUS said it was.
6/23/2013 6:38 PM
I'm asking you if, in your opinion, that law is constitutional.
6/23/2013 8:08 PM
My opinion doesn't matter.  Only SCOTUS's opinion matters.
6/23/2013 9:16 PM
Ignoring whether or not your opinion matters, would you think the law was unconstitutional?
6/23/2013 9:24 PM
If it's on the books and is actively being enforced, then no.  It would not be unconstitutional unless and until SCOTUS declares it to be.

What's your point?
6/23/2013 9:34 PM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 6/23/2013 9:34:00 PM (view original):
If it's on the books and is actively being enforced, then no.  It would not be unconstitutional unless and until SCOTUS declares it to be.

What's your point?
So, in your opinion, a law outlawing all organized religion would be constitutional until it was overturned?

Wow.
6/23/2013 9:42 PM
It's Game 7 of the World Series.  In the bottom of the first inning, somebody runs on the field to the pitcher's mound, pulls out a gun, and blows the pitchers brains out in front of 50,000 eyewitnesses and millions of people watching on TV.

Is he a convicted murderer at that point in time?
6/23/2013 9:48 PM
Here's two words for you to consider: "Due process".

Look it up, if you don't know what it means.
6/23/2013 9:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/23/2013 9:48:00 PM (view original):
It's Game 7 of the World Series.  In the bottom of the first inning, somebody runs on the field to the pitcher's mound, pulls out a gun, and blows the pitchers brains out in front of 50,000 eyewitnesses and millions of people watching on TV.

No, but you could consider him a murderer before the verdict was read.

Because you have a brain capable of forming opinions based on the facts available. Well, at least I thought you did. Maybe I was wrong.
6/23/2013 9:53 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/23/2013 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 6/23/2013 9:48:00 PM (view original):

No, but you could consider him a murderer before the verdict was read.

Because you have a brain capable of forming opinions based on the facts available. Well, at least I thought you did. Maybe I was wrong.
Wouldn't be the first time you were wrong about something in this thread.
6/23/2013 9:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...230|231|232|233|234...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.