DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Is that the one who was known for saying inappropriate things to women?
5/8/2013 3:24 PM

"Who has put pubic hair on my Coke?"

5/8/2013 3:26 PM
Another case of your opinion not being the final say.    If Barack Obama does not want to be called "black", I'm pretty sure you can't just say "Sorry, BO, you're black.  Deal with it."

Oh, I get it. Now skin color is also determined the way burnsy and BL say sexuality is determined: You are whatever you say you are.

I'm still waiting to become the billionaire batpope, because that would be sweet, and I know it will happen because I said I'm the billionaire batpope and I am what I say I am according to burnsy and BL.
5/8/2013 3:39 PM
WWCTS? bracelets for sale!!!!
5/8/2013 3:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Is that the one who was known for saying inappropriate things to women?
It's almost like you want "black" to be politically incorrect so that you can complain about it. If you want to be polite, you have two options when describing a black person--black or African American. Both are ok.
5/8/2013 3:44 PM
"African American" is silly, for the reasons stated previously.
5/8/2013 3:53 PM
CT didn't want to call Obama an "American",  I assume. 
5/8/2013 4:04 PM
To be clear, if a black man doesn't want to be called "black", you should probably abide by his wishes.   I'd kinda like to get beyond the whole skin color thing because "This is my black friend Joe" sounds stupid.  
5/8/2013 4:08 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/8/2013 3:53:00 PM (view original):
"African American" is silly, for the reasons stated previously.
Ok. I think it's a mouth full so I use black. I don't agree that it's silly, it refers to heritage. Most black people living in the US are Americans whose ancestors are from Africa. The exception would be blacks from Europe etc who are not American.

No racial classification is perfect, so we use generalities.

5/8/2013 4:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):
To be clear, if a black man doesn't want to be called "black", you should probably abide by his wishes.   I'd kinda like to get beyond the whole skin color thing because "This is my black friend Joe" sounds stupid.  
Does anyone actually say something like that? You wouldn't say this is my tall friend Joe or my handsome friend Joe, why would you refer to his race?

5/8/2013 4:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):
Also, if you're more comfortable using African American instead of black, feel free, no one is telling you to stop.
5/8/2013 4:17 PM
Can I call SSM a "civil union"?
5/8/2013 4:54 PM
Posted by bistiza on 5/8/2013 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Another case of your opinion not being the final say.    If Barack Obama does not want to be called "black", I'm pretty sure you can't just say "Sorry, BO, you're black.  Deal with it."

Oh, I get it. Now skin color is also determined the way burnsy and BL say sexuality is determined: You are whatever you say you are.

I'm still waiting to become the billionaire batpope, because that would be sweet, and I know it will happen because I said I'm the billionaire batpope and I am what I say I am according to burnsy and BL.
You're the one that effectively said "you are what you say you are" in terms of sexuality.  You're the one that makes it an option.  It would really help to advance the discussion if you would go the hell away, because everyone else can basically agree to the rest of the world's definition of homosexuality.  Obviously you're born with a particular skin color.  You're also born with a biological sexual preference, based, as I mentioned weeks ago, on the pheromone receptors you happen to possess.  You can argue your alternative definition all you want, but it comes down to your word against everyone else's, and your opinions on many things have clearly demonstrated far too little critical thinking skills and discernment to give me any reason to consider your continual assertion that sexuality should be defined by choices instead of preferences.

You're the only one who says you're defined exclusively by choices.  One could argue that based on his choices, Obama has decided to live a more "white" lifestyle - certainly a large number of blacks seem to think that.  So your definition of what defines a human being might call him white, right?  Or is that yet another trait that we can't define exclusively by choices?

And if being black is something biologically determined and you can't really get away from it, why is sexual preference - also biologically determined - different?

5/8/2013 4:55 PM
Posted by bistiza on 5/8/2013 3:39:00 PM (view original):

You're the one that effectively said "you are what you say you are" in terms of sexuality.  You're the one that makes it an option.  It would really help to advance the discussion if you would go the hell away, because everyone else can basically agree to the rest of the world's definition of homosexuality.  Obviously you're born with a particular skin color.  You're also born with a biological sexual preference, based, as I mentioned weeks ago, on the pheromone receptors you happen to possess.  You can argue your alternative definition all you want, but it comes down to your word against everyone else's, and your opinions on many things have clearly demonstrated far too little critical thinking skills and discernment to give me any reason to consider your continual assertion that sexuality should be defined by choices instead of preferences.

You're the only one who says you're defined exclusively by choices.  One could argue that based on his choices, Obama has decided to live a more "white" lifestyle - certainly a large number of blacks seem to think that.  So your definition of what defines a human being might call him white, right?  Or is that yet another trait that we can't define exclusively by choices?

And if being black is something biologically determined and you can't really get away from it, why is sexual preference - also biologically determined - different?

5/8/2013 4:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2013 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Can I call SSM a "civil union"?
You can call gay marriage whatever you want.
5/8/2013 5:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...143|144|145|146|147...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.