That's nice.  That wasn't for you.  That was specifically, and explicitly*, for people who are not you. *Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied.  This should ring a bell.

Let me fully and clearly express something for you: You don't get to dictate who responds to your posts or what they say. It's a message board for everyone who uses this site, not your private playground.
Question though: Do you own a tablet/ipad?
Yes, I have a tablet. I use it primarily for checking the internet when I'm not able to get on at a regular computer.  To be honest, though, I use it so rarely I almost forget I have it. I think I've used it five times since I bought it in November.

If I use a tablet  that little, why would I want to pay for internet on a phone that has an even smaller screen (which I've already stated I do not like)?
but I will say tablets and smartphones are essentially one and the same.
There are key differences, such as a tablet having a larger screen and not requiring a monthly fee for internet. Sure, you can use wifi on your phone too, but data plans cost money.

Plus as I said a tablet isn't always useful for all people, and I am a case in that point.
This was originally all about how desktops are so much more efficient than mobile devices which I believe and I would have to say a majority of others believe is not the case. 
A regular computer is easily more efficient than mobile browsing. Reasons:

1. Usually faster connection speeds.

2. Larger screen for easier viewing and viewing of more material.

3. More capabilities in a variety of functions.

4. A full size keyboard allowing for faster typing and less time wasted.

5. No need to have "apps" or special sites or anything special at all to be able to view websites.

The only advantage of a smart phone is mobility. That's it.
4/4/2013 1:43 PM
I can type on my phone just as fast as I can my computer. Why? Because my touch keyboard has a word bank memory which allows it to provide up to 3 words I normally use in different situations. 4g LTE is said to be even faster than wifi so this is probably less so the case than more and will continue to change as tech advances. Again larger screen size is preference. If you know how to really work your device you don't really bother about screen size. What more capabilities does a desktop have over a smartphone? This is completely false. You don't NEED apps for smartphones or tablets. Apps are designed for ease of access. I can always view the full website on my phone if I so choose to but with an app, I'm already logged in and can get to what I came online to do with no waiting. That's less time wasted. Less time. Less typing.

Tablets and smartphones are essentially the same. There are big smartphones and small tablets. The major difference is really the ability to make a phone call. As I stated I have both but pay for one as it doubles as my phone.

What you like is what you like, but make no mistake that efficiency is in the corner of the smartphone.

Not to bee funny but you'd be surprised how fast I typed this out on my S3. Honestly there is just a generation gap here that will never be closed. I don't know your age but I can guess you're a bit older. (no offense meant)
4/4/2013 2:35 PM
You should YouTube some of the videos out showing how fast people can type on these devices. It's faster then you you think.
4/4/2013 2:42 PM
Having access to my e-mail via my phone is one of my job requirements.  I used to be extremely fast on BlackBerry.  With this new Droid I am learning how to type without the assist of actualy bottons.  But I am learning quick.
4/4/2013 3:03 PM
bistiza, I knew you weren't going to respond to the substance of that post, which is why I suggested you skip down.

1. Usually faster connection speeds.

Usually.  It's much slower, however, when it doesn't have a connection, which is almost everywhere on earth.

2. Larger screen for easier viewing and viewing of more material.

A detriment when mobile.

3. More capabilities in a variety of functions.

Of course... a mobile device is a slimmed-down version.  A suitcase has more capabilities than a toiletries bag.  They're different things.

4. A full size keyboard allowing for faster typing and less time wasted.

Yes, better for typing... unless you're not at your computer.

5. No need to have "apps" or special sites or anything special at all to be able to view websites.

You don't need apps to browse the web on a mobile device, and you can do so on the mobile network rather than looking for wifi.

The only advantage of a smart phone is mobility. That's it.

That's a huge advantage when you're mobile, or when a computer is unavailable.  It's 90% utility rather than 0%.

Why is it so difficult to admit that a mobile device can be useful?  And I'm not even ON your lawn.
4/4/2013 3:34 PM (edited)
Not to bee funny but you'd be surprised how fast I typed this out on my S3. Honestly there is just a generation gap here that will never be closed. I don't know your age but I can guess you're a bit older. (no offense meant)

I'm between 25 and 34, and I don't really think it's a generational matter unless you want to insist there is that much of a gap in terms of how people in my generation and teenagers view technology.

I don't think it's generational at all, actually, because I know plenty of people around my age who seem to share your point of view.

I just think differently than most people. The main differences between the way I tend to think and the way many others tend to think seem to be these on a consistent basis:

1. I think more logically while they think more emotionally.

2. I favor substance over style while they are vice versa.

3. I look for efficiency and practicality while they favor trends regardless of those things.
Usually.  It's much slower, however, when it doesn't have a connection, which is almost everywhere on earth.
Yes, but I don't see a need for a connection in most places most of the time.

As I said, other than emergencies where you somehow desperately need info from the internet or to do something on the internet right then and there, it's just not necessary to have instant access wherever you are.

I think modern technology (and the propaganda from companies who make money off of it) are convincing people the opposite is true and that they absolutely need to be connected as often as possible and from virtually anywhere. This is laughable for many people (particularly younger people and teenagers) for whom the vast majority of browsing is social media and other things which are the epitome of trivial and unnecessary reasons to have such a mobile internet connection.

Don't get me wrong, by all means people can do what they want. I just think it's hilarious that some people think they "need" a constant mobile internet connection so they can do nothing more than check their social media accounts and such.
A detriment when mobile.
Again, why do you need to be mobile? Sure it can be nice now and again, but is it necessary for most people in most situations? I would argue no, it isn't.

For example, I'd rather wait until I have a larger screen to look at than try to look something up on the smaller screen. - and really most things can wait.
Of course... a mobile device is a slimmed-down version.  A suitcase has more capabilities than a toiletries bag.  They're different things.
Sure. But like the computer, the suitcase is superior in every way but its mobility. You wouldn't take a toiletries bag by itself on an overnight trip unless you had some really good reason for doing so. In the same way, there isn't any reason to access the internet from a mobile device unless you have a really good reason for doing so.
Yes, better for typing... unless you're not at your computer.
Again, this begs the question: In what situation do you need to access the internet when you're not at the computer, and it simply can't wait? I don't doubt these situations do occur, and for some people more than others due to their job or situation. But for most people - me included - there just aren't that many occasions when it can't wait until I'm at the computer.

So given that there aren't many occasions when I can't wait until the computer is available, there is no reason for me to purchase a more expensive phone for internet usage or pay a monthly fee to have it on my device so it's there on those rare occasions when it might be useful.
4/5/2013 8:42 AM
I really don't think this is such an emotional issue in that logic would fail anyone here (just using your examples). I am also between 25 and 34. Speaking on trends, they really don't last long and smartphones are now the norm and have been since at least 2006. I wouldn't call that a trend.

I don't know about you but I'm probably home maybe 10 to 11 hrs during the week and 5 to 7 hours of that time is spent sleeping so the majority of my waking hours, I'm away from home and my PC so I believe it's completely logical to have a mobile device with internet capabilities. I can't see what would be more practical and efficient than having a PC in my pocket. This was the whole premise behind the internet cafe in the first place... internet away from home. Now we have smartphones. 

If substance = desktops and style = smartphones in this case, I'd have to say smartphones equate to way more than style (although they are quit stylish) and will continue to lead the way in consumer tech for the forseable future. You also have way more access to "substance" on a smartphone because it offers more than a PC can with the addition of applications not available to PC users. If you prefer a PC to a smartphone, that's fine, you have your reasons but what is more efficient to you and what is efficient to millions of others is quite a different tale and there's nothing emotional/illogical about that. There is a reason why smartphones are the most popular devices now and it's more than trendy although this may account for some of the numbers, and it's more than socially crazed teenagers which also may account for some of the numbers... the fact is they are more practical and readily accessible than PC's in a world where many really don't sleep (or sleep enough). 

I'm sure when typewriters faced the introduction of computers there many who through the years held their typewritters near and dear and probably thought they were more efficient... and maybe they were compared to the first computers, but taking this situation and comparing desktops to smartphones... smartphones have more than caught up with PC's. And I guess there is a line drawn for those who feel desktops are more efficient still vs. those who think smartphones are more efficient.
4/5/2013 9:40 AM
Speaking on trends, they really don't last long and smartphones are now the norm and have been since at least 2006. I wouldn't call that a trend.

I think people get caught up in all the "neat" things they can do with their phones and think they "need" a smart phone, when in fact most of the things that MOST people do on their phones in terms of mobile browsing aren't necessary at all and could easily wait until they can access the internet on a computer.

That's why I said it's not logical to waste money on a phone and an internet plan for a phone.

I know I bought a tablet computer in November for those times when I am traveling or have some need for internet when I'm in a place where I can't get access to a computer. In the six months or so since I made that purchase, I have used the tablet for internet access a grand total of five times, because that's all I've needed it for. I almost forget I own the thing sometimes.

I think it's also a case of this: When I'm out doing something, I'm already busy and don't have time to surf the internet for anything other than what might be absolutely necessary right then and there. As I mentioned, those occasions don't happen nearly often enough to warrant the purchase of a smart phone or an expensive data plan to go with it.

Now if you have a work need or something, I can see the reason. I just don't get a lot of people, though, who are always on their phones for such trivial things as social media. Do these people hate reality so much they can't even stand to live in the real world when they are out amongst other people? Do they always have to be connected to their online profiles? I think that's sad.

I'm the opposite. In fact, I've all but abandoned social media sites that I once used.

For example, facebook came out (at least I found out about it) when I was in grad school and I joined because I thought it was nice that those who went to college could use it to stay connected. Once facebook became available for everyone and not just college students, however, I started to like it less and less. There were too many features, and I honestly didn't want everyone on there trying to access my information, so I just took down most of that information and maintained a shell there so I could check in on others if I wanted to do so. I haven't been on my facebook in probably at least six months now because there isn't much purpose. I just don't care what is going on in the lives of all the people I once knew enough to want to check in on it.

Anyway, to digress, I don't need to maintain constant access to the internet, so a computer is a better way for me to access the internet when I do need it.

4/5/2013 11:05 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/5/2013 11:05:00 AM (view original):
Speaking on trends, they really don't last long and smartphones are now the norm and have been since at least 2006. I wouldn't call that a trend.

I think people get caught up in all the "neat" things they can do with their phones and think they "need" a smart phone, when in fact most of the things that MOST people do on their phones in terms of mobile browsing aren't necessary at all and could easily wait until they can access the internet on a computer.

That's why I said it's not logical to waste money on a phone and an internet plan for a phone.

I know I bought a tablet computer in November for those times when I am traveling or have some need for internet when I'm in a place where I can't get access to a computer. In the six months or so since I made that purchase, I have used the tablet for internet access a grand total of five times, because that's all I've needed it for. I almost forget I own the thing sometimes.

I think it's also a case of this: When I'm out doing something, I'm already busy and don't have time to surf the internet for anything other than what might be absolutely necessary right then and there. As I mentioned, those occasions don't happen nearly often enough to warrant the purchase of a smart phone or an expensive data plan to go with it.

Now if you have a work need or something, I can see the reason. I just don't get a lot of people, though, who are always on their phones for such trivial things as social media. Do these people hate reality so much they can't even stand to live in the real world when they are out amongst other people? Do they always have to be connected to their online profiles? I think that's sad.

I'm the opposite. In fact, I've all but abandoned social media sites that I once used.

For example, facebook came out (at least I found out about it) when I was in grad school and I joined because I thought it was nice that those who went to college could use it to stay connected. Once facebook became available for everyone and not just college students, however, I started to like it less and less. There were too many features, and I honestly didn't want everyone on there trying to access my information, so I just took down most of that information and maintained a shell there so I could check in on others if I wanted to do so. I haven't been on my facebook in probably at least six months now because there isn't much purpose. I just don't care what is going on in the lives of all the people I once knew enough to want to check in on it.

Anyway, to digress, I don't need to maintain constant access to the internet, so a computer is a better way for me to access the internet when I do need it.

*i*, *me*, *my* ...

Notice a trend here. You are in a distinct minority . The are indeed many things I prefer a PF greatly for. But for ordinary browsing? iPad works much better. Get to do my browsing from a place that's convenient more portable moves around. CAn have it easily acceptable from where I currently am ...

Those are significant advantages. If I'm traveling, I can take the iPad along by sliding it in the front pocket of my carry-on. Most hotels have wifi. Most don't have a desktop computer available.

4/5/2013 11:32 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/5/2013 11:05:00 AM (view original):

I can live with that response. I know for myself it's not so much that I can't wait but why wait if I have the ability on a more than capable device to surf now. I'm a stats nut so I'm constantly checking games or if I just have a random question the answer is right at my fingertips. It's like I have the Swiss army knife of Pc's. It just doesn't get any better for me.
4/5/2013 11:41 AM
I will concede I'd probably use my tablet more if it had cell phone tower internet access as opposed to just using it where there is wifi somewhere away from a computer (which would make my tablet more like a smart phone but with a bigger screen).
4/5/2013 11:44 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.