Guaranteed Start Topic

I guaranteed a freshman SG a starting spot during recruiting and have started him in 7 of my first 10 games.  He sent me an email complaining about my integrity and asking when he was going to get the starts he was promised.  His worth ethic also dropped 23 points.  I was under the assumption that I had a few games in which I could bring him off the bench without any sort of consequence.  Is this true? Has anyone else encountered this?  Will those WE points come back if he continues to start?
4/1/2013 6:55 PM
If you resume starting him, you'll get most if not all of the WE points back.

The rule of thumb I've seen on these boards is you need to give 75-80% of starts, but whenever I promise a start I do it 100% of the time.
4/1/2013 7:17 PM

If you promise a start, they expect to play ~80% of the time (some players might expect a little more, some a little less). If the # of starts falls below their expectations at any time, then the WE drops. As kcsun mentioned, if you resume starting him, you will get most of his WE points back. I've seen a general rule of thumb that players expect to start about 21/26 games during the season if promised a start.

Also, you are not fulfilling your promise to make him a home-cooked meal every night either. His grandmother already called your AD to complain. Additionally, the meals that you do provide are often burned and inedible.

4/1/2013 9:29 PM
How quickly does a player regain the lost WE points if you start him again? 
4/3/2013 12:21 PM
They regain most of them immediately after they achieve their expected % of starts, ~75-80%.  Then they gain WE points at the rate you might expect for starts/playing time.
4/3/2013 12:54 PM
I expect to have to start the guy all the time if I promise it to him, but understand I have that leeway to go down to about 80 percent. Still, I don't want to be chancing the WE drop, so I try not to let it even get close.
4/3/2013 12:57 PM
Posted by ggallagh on 4/3/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
They regain most of them immediately after they achieve their expected % of starts, ~75-80%.  Then they gain WE points at the rate you might expect for starts/playing time.
This is good to hear. Thanks ggallagh. 

I played with fire with one of my guys, thinking I might be able to get away with starting him just below 80%. But, I got the email and drop as soon as I dipped below 80%. He had gained about 3-4 pts of WE too prior to the drop, so I'm assuming I won't get those back?

Benching the player didn't end up being worth it at all. I still lost the game! 

4/3/2013 1:07 PM
for some players they need 90% to be happy - its not always 80% FYI
4/3/2013 5:28 PM
pep, only had this happen to me once, but in my case the guy had a starting WE of ~60 and gained a couple of points to maybe 62-63, then I didn't start him a few games and he dropped to ~48 with a warning email. Once I started him a couple of games he jumped back up to 59. Then over the rest of the season (maybe 12-15 more games?) he gained about 3-4 points in WE.
4/3/2013 8:16 PM
Hmmm ok. In my case, the player in question started with a 25 WE...so I suppose he'll return to about 24...a net loss of about 4 points overall. Not thrilled, but could be worse I suppose. 

Thanks guys. 

4/4/2013 1:43 AM
A 25 WE is not high to begin with - you need to get that up above 30 or you might as well expect him to barely improve at all over his four years at your school.
4/4/2013 9:05 AM
Guaranteed Start Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.