All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Observation on role rating...
4/4/2013 10:59 AM
One thing I've tried to stay away from is using ratings that don't get generated on scale or developed for certain positions.  What I look at is if a rating is generated for recruits where higher division players tend to have higher ratings or averages, and if those ratings get developed over the course of a player's career.  For instance, SPD falls all over the place for OL but is generally pretty low, so I am avoiding using that as an input to anything important that an OL does.  I am trying to keep SPD as meaning the ability to move from point A to point B.  While that might seem like it would be used in blocking on the outside to counter the speed of a defender, the way I am looking at it is that the ability to do that is more based on GI and ATH, as in the OL is backing up and trying to prevent the defender from getting around him more than trying to race him.

ELU is certainly an "active" rating for all defensive positions, so it could be used in the check to counter BLK.  The only issue is once you start mixing in more than 3 ratings, you start to get the wash out effect where several high ratings can overcome a low rating.

If you want to discuss blocking actions and what ratings affect them, here are the calculated ratings used within the engine where we can mix in the GD ratings:
  • Rush Line Strength
  • Rush Line Agility (speed)
  • Pass Line Strength
  • Pass Line Agility (speed)
  • Downfield Blocking
And there are ratings for each of these for offense and defense which are used to counter each other.  For instance, when looking at blocking at the inside line for a rushing play, we look at the match up between the offensive players and defensive players involved for the Rush Line Strength rating.  For offense, this is currently a mix of STR and BLK.  For defense, it is currently just STR.  I could see it being a mix of STR and ELU with ELU basically countering the BLK from the offensive side.  Would that make more sense?

4/4/2013 11:13 AM
I like that idea norbert. If its two ratings on offense, it certainly should be two ratings on defense. Elusiveness would make sense in that example you are speaking of. 
of 2
All Forums > Gridiron Dynasty Football > Gridiron Dynasty Beta > Observation on role rating...

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.