FA or Still Count Against My Salary Cap? Topic

My player has cleared waivers and I tried to demote him to make room on my roster but got the below message.  My question is: If I release him will his remaining 2 years count against my salary cap or does he become a FA at that time and his salary will not count against my future cap?

"You are attempting to outright Mariano Prieto to the minor leagues. He has the choice of becoming a free agent instead of accepting the assignment. We asked the player what he would do and he responded that he would elect to become a free agent. You may either keep him on your roster or release him."
4/4/2013 8:16 AM

All but the BL minimum will count against your cap if he's claimed.   If not claimed, all of it.

Designate him.    It's a work-around.

4/4/2013 8:29 AM
Sorry can you give it to me in simpler terms.  I don't want him and won't use him in the majors at all (not my signing).  I want to rid myself of his future salary.  Is this possible?
4/4/2013 8:46 AM

The only way to get his future salary off your books is if somebody claims him, or if you can find somebody willing to acquire him via trade.

4/4/2013 8:50 AM
Trade him.   But, if he cleared waivers, I'm sure his value is less than his salary. 

Now some would say "Include a prospect and pay his salary."    I happen to think this is a retarded option.  Wait it out.

4/4/2013 8:51 AM
If this is the guy you're talking about, it looks like he's in the final year of his contract.
4/4/2013 8:55 AM

That can't be the guy.  That season is half over.  And he's not horrible.

4/4/2013 9:06 AM
According to the message that wishlist posted in the first post of this thread, that's the guy.
4/4/2013 9:58 AM
Well, in that case, I think there's only one response left:

THREAD CLOSED FER RETAHD REPARES!!!!!
4/4/2013 10:08 AM
My apologies, it's David Dotel in AAA.  Got confused.  Basically I need to clear salary to complete a trade because I will be over next season and I was trying to do something to get rid of his higher salary.  I placed him on waivers today to see if I have any takers.
4/4/2013 10:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/4/2013 8:51:00 AM (view original):
Trade him.   But, if he cleared waivers, I'm sure his value is less than his salary. 

Now some would say "Include a prospect and pay his salary."    I happen to think this is a retarded option.  Wait it out.

I voiced that retarded opinion, but with the caveat that it applied in very limited circumstances — mainly, if clearing the salary allowed you to sign a draft pick who is better than the prospect packaged with the salary dump. Giving up a B-level prospect so you can sign a 1st-round pick makes sense. Giving up a B level prospect just because you don't like the player does not.
4/4/2013 9:24 PM
I'd still disagree.  That's a game 155 move.

Trade a player for a slightly lesser, yet cheaper, player.   Waive a non-factor player.     Waive several non-factor players.   Don't give away young talent.

4/5/2013 9:08 AM
I agree it's very much a last resort. Ideally someone would claim a spare part and take on the salary. In either trade scenario you're giving up some amount of talent in exchange for salary relief. How much talent you give up depends on how much (and how badly) of the remainder of Dotel's $4.6M salary you need to clear.
4/5/2013 8:35 PM
I'm into a few seasons on my first team and when I took it over, I had 2-3 awful contracts. Your pitcher isn't that overpaid..if you really want to get rid of him, I would look at the worst contracts in your world and find one that is ending this season. Someone would gladly give up a crappy player who has bigger commitment (6m-7m) for that guy, and probably won't even realize or care your pitcher is signed for 2 years longer. I was very successful dumping bad contracts this way. Keep trading down, but for less time.
4/6/2013 1:28 AM
FA or Still Count Against My Salary Cap? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.