4/4/2013 12:31 PM
1) Punts in general seem to be longer than they should.
2) Punt averages are off; a recent game showed an average punt of 50.3 when it was actually 48.2.
3) The 48.2 yard average was by a kicker/punter. Are out-of-position penalties active?

4/4/2013 1:24 PM
I have a punter that in test games is putting up pretty amazing numbers as a quarterback. 
4/4/2013 3:19 PM
I don't have any punters or kickers on my team yet because my world is still recruiting (and I don't have my recruits yet) but I played an exhibition game last night. My punting stats were great. I averaged 45.7 yards on 6 punts with a long of 57 and two were downed within the 20. All 6 punts were from different players: QB, RB, TE, TE, OL, DL. My average was better than my sim opponent who was playing an actual punter.

I'm guessing out-of-position penalties are not active. Either that or I'm never recruiting another punter.
4/5/2013 11:16 AM
1. I'll continue adjusting those, but I'll probably wait to really analyze the results until after I get the passing logic in.
2. What numbers are you looking at to calculate the average?  Are you including any bounce distance?
3. Out of position penalties are only active for kicking and punting.  Passing is not active, so doesn't surprise me that the punter is doing well as a QB, plus I'm still working on revamping the passing logic.  Maybe the punter is passing the ball with his foot or something.  It is "football" after all.  I am surprised that the out of position punters are doing as well.  They should be severely hit when trying to punt.  I'm also surprised it would pick different players to punt each time.

Thanks for continuing to look at this.  Even if it's something I can't look at right now, good to keep an eye on it so it doesn't fall through the cracks.

4/5/2013 1:20 PM
I just calculated the averages with the punt distances in the box score. I didn't even know I could see the bounce distance.

Here's a link to the game if you are interested:  Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Boxscore - Tusculum vs Edinboro
4/6/2013 3:45 PM
I was just looking at the distance on the fly. Anyone can kick the ball 50 yards if it rolls half-way there.
4/9/2013 1:45 PM
Punting and kicking need some adjustments.
These are two positions that are somewhat "unique".
In regular offense and defense, the results from D3 to D1 will really not vary that much.
However, for kicking and punting the results from D3 to D1 should be noticeably different.
So, this will somehow need to be changed.

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.