What to expect in the Playoffs?? Topic

I made the playoffs for the first time and just wondering what, if anything, I should think about doing differently. Do people crank up the pitch counts on their good pitchers or dial it back? Change the "hook" settings? Tweak the hierarchies? Modify fatigue settings? Not rest players in blowouts? Or change very little?

I'm at a decided disadvantage as the WC vs. the #1 team who has an .900 team OPS, 1250 runs scored and a three-man rotation of the usual suspects I see people use. Three righthanders from the 'aughts (Joss, Brown, Cicotte, et al). My only advantage seems to be the defense is particularly poor while mine is very good. 

4/4/2013 7:57 PM
If both are rested, your top 2 pitchers can probably start every other game deep into the playoffs. What you do with pitch count/pull settings depends completely on what your bullpen looks like. I'd ignore fatigue for full-time position players unless it dips below 90%, which would only happen if they're already fatigued. If you have a cookie reliever (Milacki, etc.) I'd give them the lowest-possible low pitch count so he's available for a potential deciding-game start. Other things depend completely on your roster. If I have a few cookie PHs, as soon as I get behind in a series I usually start at least one of them.
4/4/2013 8:16 PM
Throw your best pitchers more often, not necessarily at a higher pitch count. Teams throw their Ace every 2 or 3 games, worst starter becomes a long reliever and worst relievers not used. Sure, dial back fatigue, if somebody is getting tired you can manually decide how badly you need him before each game. Turn off rest. Hooks and hierarchies I'm not sure, if you have the set right already not much reason to change them but if they're set with fatigue in mind fix that. Don't worry if the other team looks stronger there's a lot of luck involved in a short series.
4/4/2013 8:29 PM
I'd go '89 Ryan game 1 and 3 (or 4), Jenkins away, Blyleven at home, Milacki game 5 (or '89 Ryan again if available and you're confident with him). Other Ryan and Matlack in the bullpen, with spot start vs opponent weakness (be it vs righty or lefty). Start Milacki for WS game 7.
4/5/2013 3:11 AM
I just posted the link to contrarian23's great forum thread "Understanding Fatigue", which explains the basics of how differently fatigue works in the post-season, in a thread in which I also asked questions about postseason issues. 

But here is the link on fatigue:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=434633
4/5/2013 9:35 AM
bpeter:
As others said, you will rely on your best players more often.  Typically teams with a 3 or 4 man pitching rotation will cut their rotation by one.  Some people may disagree, but I think you should bump your pull settings by about 1.  If you rest you players you may want to do so only with larger leads or later in the game.  Some people turn off their mop-up, but I don't think that is a smart idea until you are a game or two away from elimination.

Also, it really is worth while to scout your opponent.  Pay close attention to how your opponent performs home versus away and against RHP or LHP.
4/5/2013 9:49 PM
Your opponent's catcher's arm sucks.  Bumping the steal settings Pettis, Willis, Harrah is a good idea.
4/5/2013 10:12 PM
89 Ryan pitched 8 ip in game one and lost a tough one 4-3. His fatigue shows 93(100) at the end of the game. Can I or should I start him in game 3? He'll be at 100%. Or will he not be effective? If I win game 2, then I'd go Blyleven in game 3, but if I lose, I'd come back with Ryan in game 3. Will Sim let me change it once game 2 happens or do i need to decide now?
4/6/2013 5:32 PM
Go with Ryan... he will be at 100% for game 3.
4/6/2013 8:30 PM
Yes, you need to decide now. SIM locks in a starter as soon as the previous game plays in a series, just like all games in the regular season (other than the opener).
4/6/2013 8:40 PM
What to expect in the Playoffs?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.