Would it be stupid to start this guy?  I want to maximize the innings he pitches.  My SPs and bullpen is pretty solid, but I can't figure out the best way to use Stairs.  

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Arthur Stairs

4/9/2013 12:52 AM
I had a similar guy and with 13 spot starts added to his Long A duties he logged 190+ innings.

Stairs has enough STA to start though. 

Other opinions may vary, but If I started him I'd set his PC at 45-55 and throw him every other day or every 3 days depending on bullpen condition (ie is the bullpen deep enough and rested enough), cause he'll only go 3-4 innings most of the time. 

By starting him you should definitely get more innings out of him.
4/9/2013 1:29 AM
I wouldn't start him. Put him as your top reliever in your bullpen... and he'll pitch a ton.

I had a similar dur/stam player and not nearly as good and he would pitch close to 200 innings out of the bullpen. Saves your pitching staff too.

4/9/2013 9:40 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Matt Christensen is the closest I have.

He's set as my top RP and he's not getting enough innings.   The first two seasons I used him as a tandem B.    That's how I'd use your guy because you'd control when he pitches.    Leaving it in SIMMY's hands will limit his innings somewhat. 
4/9/2013 9:48 AM
I'd had him as my top reliever last year, and he didnt pitch some games when he was at 100%. I might put him as a tandem or SP in spring training and see how it goes
4/9/2013 10:12 AM
That guy's awesome!  If you had five or six of him, you're pitching staff would be complete.  You wouldn't need any more pitchers.  Stairs could throw 4-5 innings practically every day.  The guy's a monster.  That said, I wouldn't start him.  I'd do as WiredTiger says and just essentially try to get him out there as an RP every day for as many innings as possible.
4/9/2013 11:18 AM
Posted by jfinn on 4/9/2013 10:12:00 AM (view original):
I'd had him as my top reliever last year, and he didnt pitch some games when he was at 100%. I might put him as a tandem or SP in spring training and see how it goes
This is the problem with putting him in the bullpen and "hoping" he gets in the game.

Start him or use him in a tandem and you KNOW he's going to pitch that game.
4/9/2013 2:49 PM
Make him your only Long A and give most of your SP a 4 or 5 pull count and he should get a lot of innings.
4/9/2013 2:54 PM
He is a SuA.  If you set your pen up right, he will pitch 175 innings (as much as most starters) and those innings will be shut down innings in the 6-8 innings of a lot of games.  IMO he is more valuable to you as a SuA than a starter who logs his 4 innings every 5 days, affecting only one game in five.
4/11/2013 10:54 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2013 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Matt Christensen is the closest I have.

He's set as my top RP and he's not getting enough innings.   The first two seasons I used him as a tandem B.    That's how I'd use your guy because you'd control when he pitches.    Leaving it in SIMMY's hands will limit his innings somewhat. 
This is the correct answer.  Setting him as Tandem B whenever he's at 100% is the closest guarantee you have to maximizing his IPs. 
4/11/2013 12:20 PM
Of course it's the correct answer.   Duh.
4/11/2013 1:54 PM
Tandem and starter are the same thing. Either way is correct as long as he's pitching as soon as he's 100% and throwing 55 pitches every appearance. If he doesn't hit 280 innings you messed up.
4/11/2013 7:53 PM
In the first spring training game stairs went 4 innings with 63 pitches and was at 91 stamina at the end of the day. I think I should up his pitch count a bit.
4/14/2013 11:57 AM
Only trouble with upping his PC is the effects of "in - game fatigue". Where a pitcher becomes less and less effective the more pitches he throws over his ideal limit.

I am a bit conservative, so I said 45/55, but yeah you could easily go 60/65 without too much worry. I'd be uneasy going past 70, but if you do so, I'd be interested in hearing how he does. 

He'll be 100% the following day, but many of us feel that pitching a guy the day after he returns to 100 makes for a better start. Some do not.
So every other game @ 4-5 innings is sick and projects to like 320-400 ip. That'd be a heck of a fun experiment, seeing how close to 400 he could get.
But even every third day he'd push 300 if you were to take advantage of all the off days, which is still a horse by anyone's definition.
4/14/2013 1:39 PM
I tried starting him at the beginning of the year, but have been using him as a Tandem B in the last couple of games.  He is having pretty good success, but his ERA is a little higher than I expected.  Should I be concerned about his actual pitches at all, like the fact he doesn't have a fastball? Or does that not matter?
4/25/2013 7:22 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.