Salary restructuring Topic

Not even sure if this is a suggestion as much as I'm just throwing out an idea in order to get shouted down.

I don't think baseball restructures deals but baseball doesn't have a salary cap.   But HBD does and so does the NFL.   I've found myself digging a cap hole in future seasons due to options.    The idea came to me when I looked at my FA for next season while signing FA this season.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Brandon Gray is the player in question.   He wants 2y at 5.6m per.   Very reasonable.   However, I have 3.4m available for next season.   So I'm going to have to give him something like 3m, 6.7m, 6.7m and 6m.  Since he's 30, I'll be signing him thru 34.  He'll have taken a step or two back but he'll still be productive.  However, if I were to lose my team to the MWR or give up HBD, somebody is getting stuck with 12.7m over the last two, declining years. 

Therefore, it seems like it would be better for HBD if I were to restructure a contract for next season(by extension) and free up more than 3.4m and maybe give Gray 2-3 years instead of 4.

I'm sure this is ripe for abuse but I can't see how it's worse than giving a guy 4-5 years when you'd rather give him 2-3.
4/15/2013 1:54 PM
Interesting idea.. I would guess that they would have to somehow tie this into the Patience rating..
4/24/2013 2:11 PM
NHL hockey has a salary cap, and there are no allowances for restructuring deals.
5/6/2013 6:51 AM
Remember "cash is for the lazy and stupid"? So is this.
5/6/2013 10:48 AM
Gray got a 2.2/6.7/6.7/6.7 deal.   That's kind of stupid but was required in order to manipulate the cap. 
5/6/2013 10:54 AM

Two thoughts;

1. I took over a team and I should be able to work around the mess I have. You knew the mess when you took it over. If you didn't want the mess, don't take it over.
2. I created this mess and I should have a way of working around it. Lazy and stupid.

5/6/2013 11:40 AM
I worked around it.   Just seems like there should be a better way. 
5/6/2013 12:33 PM
Despite the imprisoned deathinahole's dissent, I still think this is a good idea. 
6/27/2015 8:30 AM
One thing they can do is players who have Player options, those player option years do not count against the that seasons cap.  For example if the player has a 3 year deal and third year is a player option then that doesn't count against your season 3 "advance budget".  Its similar to how MLB calculates the luxury tax, player options are not included in the calculation and are only considered once the player accepts the option.
6/30/2015 1:16 PM
I like it. I'd limit it to one per year that can be done at anytime. With a 15% penalty?
7/19/2015 9:08 PM
Salary restructuring Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.