Drafting Advice for Beginners Topic

I've played the NBA Sim, and there it's important to understand the role of randomly-generated rookies when drafting one's team (i.e., it's a waste of money to draft 82*5*48 minutes, because the rookies will step in).

I'm guessing there's a similar dynamic with AAA players in the MLB Sim?  Can someone offer advice on how many innings to draft for each position, and any other relevant considerations?

Any other drafting hints--e.g., key stats, key roles to fill, etc.--also much appreciated...
4/16/2013 4:49 PM
There's a thread here on identifying your AAA players, you'll get a good idea of their value there. They can be useful and you can generally expect somewhere from around 200-400 PA from each hitter and around 25-125 IP from each pitcher. If you get a good draw you can plan on full platoons with each of them and have two setup B type pitchers. If you get a bad draw you just have some role fillers. Expect at least 2-3 hitters to be useable and don't count on much from your pitchers and you'll do fine. The pinned thread at the top of the page has tons of useful tips and help pages.

4/16/2013 5:17 PM
Play in a moderate pitchers park.
Draft 8 position players + a pinch hiter (<$250K) that total at 4800 to no more than 5000 PA.
Draft 7-9 pitchers that total 1200-1250 ip.
Fill out your roster with $200K scrubs.
4/17/2013 11:38 PM (edited)
You want a catcher with an A+ arm. Most popular players are Tim Raines, Miguel Dilone, Bip Roberts and Vince Coleman who will run you out of the building if you don't have a good catcher. Also expect a heavy dose of Adie Joss, Mordecai Brown, Ed Cicotte and other early 20th century pitchers with low whips and no HR allowed.
4/17/2013 2:05 AM

Search this forum with max. available years back and read all you can. Key words:

1- Dead ball (deadballer, dead ball era...)
2- Normalize or # (normalizing, etc...  you got the idea...)
3- AAA (important stuff here)
4- OL (open leagues)
5- I'm pretty sure the word "cookie" could bring something interesting.

There is a lot of info in here, that's where I learned everything and doing pretty decent since.

Also pay attention to contrarian, zubinsum, crazystengel, johngpf, grizzly, just4me (and other frequent/great posters... you find them...) comments, opinions and ideas.

Oh... and sides does matter. Lefty vs righty (or opposite) is favoring the hitter, same sides favor the pitcher. Last tip: micro-managing seems to me to be key in most leagues (including OLs).

Welcome aboard, and good luck.

4/18/2013 2:49 AM
I never micro-manage and I do reasonably well...  Certainly you can do a little better if you do micromanage, but if you don't want to you can be successful enough.
4/18/2013 4:04 PM
Drafting Advice for Beginners Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.